Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RISC-V Adds Support For CD-ROM Images To Its Default Linux 6.1 Kernel Configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RISC-V Adds Support For CD-ROM Images To Its Default Linux 6.1 Kernel Configuration

Phoronix: RISC-V Adds Support For CD-ROM Images To Its Default Linux 6.1 Kernel Configuration

Not that you are likely to connect a CD/DVD drive to a RISC-V system in 2022+, but RISC-V's default kernel configuration with the upcoming Linux 6.1 kernel is adding support for CD-ROM file-systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

that's cool, but have you seen this kernel developer running an Unmatched RISCV64 Linux desktop with AMD RDNA2 dGPU? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv4-_a_3BKg

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
      that's cool, but have you seen this kernel developer running an Unmatched RISCV64 Linux desktop with AMD RDNA2 dGPU?
      Speaking of that reminds me that Intel's Horse Creek board was recently demo'd and appears to feature an ATX power connector and a full-length PCIe 5.0 slot, with x8 connectivity.

The exciting article ends on a slight down note:

"No availability date for the new Horse Creek Dev boards has been announced yet."
      Last edited by coder; 12 October 2022, 05:50 AM.

Comment

that's cool, but have you seen this kernel developer running an Unmatched RISCV64 Linux desktop with AMD RDNA2 dGPU? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv4-_a_3BKg
        I'm gonna get an ARC (for AV1 encoding), and I'll try to get it running on my Unmatched first. If anyone wants a shell on that machine let me know, I don't need that card right away.

I might be able to get an external IPKVM on it or something, if somebody has suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post
          I'm gonna get an ARC (for AV1 encoding), and I'll try to get it running on my Unmatched first.
          I'd love to see a lower powered (i.e. can be powered by the PCIe slot alone), fanless ARC card that could be used for things like this! Or a RISC-V board that had an ARC-based dGPU soldered onto it

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
            I'd love to see a lower powered (i.e. can be powered by the PCIe slot alone), fanless ARC card that could be used for things like this!
            Not fanless, but I'm sure I've read about a ARC A380 card without the supplemental power connector.

Regarding fanless, you're going to be extremely limited on that front. Nvidia GTX 1030 comes to mind... I'm not sure there's anything newer or better than that. I think AMD could do fanless with Navi 24, but wouldn't count on anyone taking the bait... er... initiative.

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
            Or a RISC-V board that had an ARC-based dGPU soldered onto it
            Maybe this SiFive / Intel partnership will see a RISC-V SoC with an Intel tGPU in package.

Comment

FYI, the VisionFive2, Star64 and other new cheap boards based on JH7110 are significantly faster than the Unmatched.

It's gonna be much fun when they start shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
                FYI, the VisionFive2, Star64 and other new cheap boards based on JH7110 are significantly faster than the Unmatched.

It's gonna be much fun when they start shipping.
                Horse Creek is based on SiFive's fastest core and made on the Intel 4 process. They claim it's roughly equivalent to an ARM Cortex A75, although probably not counting Neon performance since the SiFive core lacks the new RISC-V vector extensions.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                  Horse Creek is based on SiFive's fastest core and made on the Intel 4 process. They claim it's roughly equivalent to an ARM Cortex A75, although probably not counting Neon performance since the SiFive core lacks the new RISC-V vector extensions.
                  And that's despite using the older P550 core. IIRC SiFive announced the P650 back in 2020 already.

Comment

Working...
                  X