Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGLRU Merged For Linux 6.1

Phoronix: MGLRU Merged For Linux 6.1

MGLRU has successfully landed in Linux 6.1 as one of the best kernel innovations of the year to be mainlined. Along with that the new Maple Tree data structure was also merged...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Finally, wonderful!
    But too bad it's not enabled by default.
    Considering that this will probably be the next LTS and next Debian release using it by default, I'm not sure they will enable it before building it.

Comment

Arch and others will definitely enable it. Maybe I will even consider stop building my own kernel...

Comment

Excellent! I'm really looking forward to see how much of a difference I'll notice in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Not enabled by default is the standard approach for significant replacement functionality (with the notable exception of security updates).

Considering that this will probably be the next LTS and next Debian release using it by default, I'm not sure they will enable it before building it.
          You and others who want MGLRU to be enabled will need to start asking the debian kernel team to add it to their configs (and what they need to be convinced to do so).

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Finally, wonderful!
            Since it's mostly for memory-constrained systems, it's not something that needs to be enabled by default. On the other hand, once it's proven to not degrade anything, why not?
            Originally posted by V1tol View Post
            Arch and others will definitely enable it. Maybe I will even consider stop building my own kernel...
            Afaik, Arch just uses upstream configs so it probably won't enable it.

That said, anyone knows anything about this Maple Tree structure?

Comment

How does one enables this? Is there a boot parameter or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                xanmod has other useful patches, I'll still keep using it

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Since it's mostly for memory-constrained systems, it's not something that needs to be enabled by default.
                  At least some of the members of this forum complain about abysmal performance (due to memory pressure) when they open thousands of windows/tabs on their desktop, and this may help them (at least some of the time).

On the other hand, once it's proven to not degrade anything, why not?
                  As with any change, there are almost certainly edge cases or synthetics that can show degradation. The question is whether those cases can be addressed, or are sufficiently rare to not be a strong consideration in any decision. It should be noted that millions of real world devices are already using MGLRU with good results being reported.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    Since it's mostly for memory-constrained systems, it's not something that needs to be enabled by default. On the other hand, once it's proven to not degrade anything, why not?

Afaik, Arch just uses upstream configs so it probably won't enable it.

That said, anyone knows anything about this Maple Tree structure?
                    maple tree is another datastructure contribution by matthew wilcox to provide a tree datastructure that supports ranges and provides rcu capabilities. his previous work was improving the radix tree api (which he called xarray). he gives great talks and it seems he really focuses on making the apis easy to use for developers.

Comment

Working...
                    X