Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGLRU & Maple Tree Submitted For Linux 6.1

Phoronix: MGLRU & Maple Tree Submitted For Linux 6.1

Andrew Morton this afternoon submitted his memory management "MM" related updates for the Linux 6.1 merge window. Most notable with this pull request is the inclusion of Multi-Gen LRU "MGLRU" and the Maple Tree kernel features...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/MGLRU-...e-Linux-6.1-PR

Great!
    I really wish that Linus doesn't have any objections on MGLRU and that will be merged!
    I've been using it with no problems on the Xanmod kernel, but being in the uptsream kernel will just be better for everyone.
    Last edited by Danny3; 09 October 2022, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Fantastic news, Linux 6.1 will be a a really interesting release and I do hope that the suspend2idle fixes will finally make my AMD notebooks usuable again as a notebook. Well and I'm interested to see if and how Rust will improve the quality of the kernel.

Comment

Oracle
        🤢🤮
        vvv

Comment

6.1 as LTS kernel with MGLRU would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            I really wish that Linus doesn't have any objections on MGLRU and that will be merged!
            While past performance is not a guarantee of future results, it can be a very strong indicator. I can't remember that last time one of Andrew Morton's patches was not accepted (although occasionally a conflict from other merges has required a bit of rework), as Andrew is considered the ultimate SME in this area of the kernel.

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

While past performance is not a guarantee of future results, it can be a very strong indicator. I can't remember that last time one of Andrew Morton's patches was not accepted (although occasionally a conflict from other merges has required a bit of rework), as Andrew is considered the ultimate SME in this area of the kernel.
              Thanks. There are also very recent results from Michael and other testers on this forum. So I'd put this way: while benchmark results are not guarantees of real-world results, they can be very strong indicators.

Note that we used most realistic benchmark available, but they are still far from being ideally realistic.
              Last edited by [email protected]; 09 October 2022, 08:48 PM.

Comment

And MGLRU and the Maple Tree features have been merged.

Comment

While Rust may have value long-term, it's kind of ironic that it won't even be the most valuable set of patches in the release that it finally landed in. MGLRU has been the standout feature everyone has been waiting for ever since Linux got a useful DE. Maple also has plenty of workloads where it offers additional benefit, so it's great to see them both finally get pulled just in time for the LTS kernel.

With Zen4 support as well, 6.1 is a huge win for anyone looking to build a new machine early next year, or even late next year. Congratulations to [email protected] for having the stamina to get this over the line.

Comment

arQon Not a big surprise, it has long-term value and merging it won't magically solve any problem.

You still need people to actually write new code (mostly drivers for now) in it and for rust to continue stablise features required, supporting gcc, improve performance of rustc, improving crates used in kernel, etc, whereas MGLRU changes the MM system and produces benefit today...

Personally I don't find it to be ironic, it's just how things work.

Comment

Working...
                    X