systemd 252-rc1 Introduces New systemd-measure Tool, Other New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

Do you have to be an idiot to misunderstand what a flag does? It happens to everyone at some point. But I'm not sure if that's the case or something got lost in translation.
    This happens when someone is in hurry to answer before reading. Read before writing.

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post

Obviously, also with all the possible flags enabled (quiet and all the rest). And this is not only my issue, as I can read everywhere in the web.
      Not entirely sure how to interpret your reply here, did you perhaps mean disabled instead of enabled? Anyway the easiest way to see what options are in use on the current system is a simple "cat /proc/cmdline" in a terminal, then you will see if quiet is set or not. If not then the problem most likely lies with whatever is handling the boot splash in your system, or the screen is somehow set to the wrong console (the kernel does not log to all consoles).

In any case this is not a systemd issue, neither systemd nor journald is even running this early in the boot, the logging to the screen (aka the console) is done by the kernel itself. Yes I'm aware that there are posts on the Internet claiming that systemd swallows logs, they are all just lying troll posts from people with an agenda.

Comment

This happens when someone is in hurry to answer before reading. Read before writing.
        I'm not the only one here who's unsure what you meant, so...

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Not entirely sure how to interpret your reply here, did you perhaps mean disabled instead of enabled? Anyway the easiest way to see what options are in use on the current system is a simple "cat /proc/cmdline" in a terminal, then you will see if quiet is set or not. If not then the problem most likely lies with whatever is handling the boot splash in your system, or the screen is somehow set to the wrong console (the kernel does not log to all consoles).

In any case this is not a systemd issue, neither systemd nor journald is even running this early in the boot, the logging to the screen (aka the console) is done by the kernel itself. Yes I'm aware that there are posts on the Internet claiming that systemd swallows logs, they are all just lying troll posts from people with an agenda.
          After 23 years as Linux user, I think it's time for me to retire from all discussions about Linux. Actually, there seems to be a kind of war of religions where everybody wants to defend its fraction of the 1% of the Linux market share. Before Canonical appeared, the Linux world was different. Immediately, a lot of young people started to make war to everybody in the name of the Ubuntu religion. In my country, this people is called ubuntonti, an union of two words with an unique meaning. Moreover, bugs are been injected into the linux programs code voluntarily (I know it is true).​ And spywares...
          Good bye and thanks for all the fish.

Comment

After 23 years as Linux user, I think it's time for me to retire from all discussions about Linux. Actually, there seems to be a kind of war of religions where everybody wants to defend its fraction of the 1% of the Linux market share. Before Canonical appeared, the Linux world was different. Immediately, a lot of young people started to make war to everybody in the name of the Ubuntu religion. In my country, this people is called ubuntonti, an union of two words with an unique meaning. Moreover, bugs are been injected into the linux programs code voluntarily (I know it is true).​ And spywares...
            no man, for once it is not ubuntu's fault!
            religion wars were there long before Ubuntu even existed.

debian vs slackware
            vim vs emacs
            kde vs gnome

all all the rest.

btw, I believe this war exists in almost every human sphere, being computer science, sport, building or even gardening.

Comment

Sorry but I fail to see the relevance to my comment here? Having been involved with computers since 1982 and Linux specifically since the days of Slackware, I can tell you that the religious like war between fractions within the computer industry as a whole and Linux as well (and it's by no means worse in the Linux community) not only started long before Canonical came to be, also most of the flame war posts (at least on this forum) seems to be from anti-Canonical people.

Also not sure what Canonical have to do with the issue of not seeing the boot logs on your system, nor what it have to do with systemd. I get the feeling that you actually want to discuss something else entirely but happened to "open up" in this unrelated thread, and that is completely fine as long as we are open about that and not trying to mask it as something else.

Comment

I'm not sure I'm reading you well, but are you saying you have the "quiet" flag set and you expect text output during boot? The expected behavior for "quiet" is to not have that, and it has been that way since long before systemd.
                No, I believe he's saying the exact opposite, that even with the 'quiet' flag, and even with Plymouth, he can't achieve a smooth transition from kernel console to GUI; and he suspects that the culprit is systemd, which is somehow hijacking his system's console and printing stuff during boot without his permission.

Comment

Originally posted by Nocifer View Post

No, I believe he's saying the exact opposite, that even with the 'quiet' flag, and even with Plymouth, he can't achieve a smooth transition from kernel console to GUI; and he suspects that the culprit is systemd, which is somehow hijacking his system's console and printing stuff during boot without his permission.
                  Ohhh. Ok. Now that you put it that way, there was a bug at spme point when systemd started handling drm modules (around a year ago?) that could bork X. Maybe that's the issue? If the distro is mainstream I would not expect that bug to manifest tho.
                  I've never been a fan of bootsplashes precisely because they make it harder to understand what's wrong when something fails.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Sorry but I fail to see the relevance to my comment here? Having been involved with computers since 1982 and Linux specifically since the days of Slackware, I can tell you that the religious like war between fractions within the computer industry as a whole and Linux as well (and it's by no means worse in the Linux community) not only started long before Canonical came to be, also most of the flame war posts (at least on this forum) seems to be from anti-Canonical people.

Also not sure what Canonical have to do with the issue of not seeing the boot logs on your system, nor what it have to do with systemd. I get the feeling that you actually want to discuss something else entirely but happened to "open up" in this unrelated thread, and that is completely fine as long as we are open about that and not trying to mask it as something else.
                    Honestly I also don't really see what point you were trying to make, other than that for your own reasons you decided to check out. But if you actually wanted or want to discuss something, then what is exactly the problem at hand? Is it that now there is systemd and the (entirely unrelated) fact that by default most distros including Ubuntu use a quiet boot? Or is it that the community as a whole has moved on to other ways of doing things and other priorities for Linux development since the 1990s? Or are you simply being nostalgic (which is perfectly fine of course)?

Comment

Ohhh. Ok. Now that you put it that way, there was a bug at spme point when systemd started handling drm modules (around a year ago?) that could bork X. Maybe that's the issue? If the distro is mainstream I would not expect that bug to manifest tho.
                      I've never been a fan of bootsplashes precisely because they make it harder to understand what's wrong when something fails.
                      But even with that bug you should see the kernel logs during boot since systemd isn't launched until the kernel have booted in full?!

Comment

Working...
                      X