systemd 252-rc1 Introduces New systemd-measure Tool, Other New Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• systemd 252-rc1 Introduces New systemd-measure Tool, Other New Features

Phoronix: systemd 252-rc1 Introduces New systemd-measure Tool, Other New Features

Systemd 252-rc1 is out as the first test candidate ahead of this next big feature release for this dominant Linux init systemd. Systemd 252 has been working on a new "systemd-measure" tool and a wide variety of other changes...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael

Typo

"is a warning that they intend to eliminate cgroups v2 support after the end of 2023." I think cgroupsv1​ is being eliminate,not v2?

Comment

It seems to me that since we have adopted systemd there isn't smooth transition (= no text logs) during boot/shutdown anymore. With and without playmouth installed. Is that because systemd take the ownership of the first console? Any new alternative to this old, despotic program?
      Last edited by nist; 07 October 2022, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post
        It seems to me that since we have adopted systemd there isn't smooth transition (= no text logs) anymore. With and without playmouth installed. Is that because systemd take the ownership of the first console? Any new alternative to this old, despotic program?
        Who is "we"? What do you mean with "no text logs"? If you mean output during boot, it must be your config. I have them on my setup. If you mean syslog files, just send them to rsyslog via journalctl's config. Or, if you want an alternative to systemd because it's "old and despotic", check s6 and dinit out, those seem rather cool and modern. Beware tho that dinit is reportedly alpha and s6 doesn't (yet) come with a user friendly frontend, so either you use obarun's s66 or do a lot of manual work.

Typos:
        Systemd 252-rc1 is out as the first test candidate ahead of this next big feature release for this dominant Linux init systemd.
        And, to be pedantic, it's not an "init system". It's a base userspace.

Comment

For the first time in three years there's a new WineConf conference with lots of interesting talks.

Watch it here:

Day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlkhoUfYjJ8
          Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBK0M711-Q

Michael has overlooked it for some reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            For the first time in three years there's a new WineConf conference with lots of interesting talks.

Watch it here:

Day 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlkhoUfYjJ8
            Day 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBK0M711-Q

Michael has overlooked it for some reasons.
            Good to know, but a little off topic.

Comment

Originally posted by nist View Post
              It seems to me that since we have adopted systemd there isn't smooth transition (= no text logs) during boot/shutdown anymore. With and without playmouth installed. Is that because systemd take the ownership of the first console? Any new alternative to this old, despotic program?
              if you don't see logs during boot or shutdown then it sounds like your kernel is set to be "quiet" when booting, this have zero to do with systemd.

Comment

systemd-measure has been added as a helper to precalculate PCR measurements to make it easier facilitating TPM2 policies.
                I wonder why they keep insisting on using a potentially backdoored TPM...

- Systemd will set a "support-ended" taint flag if it detects the OS image is past its end-of-support date. This goes along with os-release gaining a new "SUPPORT_END=" field for specifying a date when the OS support is considered then unsupported.
                What's the point of this?
                who cares if I use an undupported OS or not?
                Is this for nagging and forcing people to always move to the latest crap?
                I definitely not like such bullshit!
                If systemd developers adding crap, I'm afraid more and more of use will ump to the against-systemd side.

Comment

There's also X developers conference: https://www.youtube.com/c/XOrgFoundation

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                    You have to show first that it is, every single piece of hw is a potential backdoor. So far no evidence of TPM being backdoor-ed exists, it's just a secure key storage facility.

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post

What's the point of this?
                    who cares if I use an undupported OS or not?
                    Is this for nagging and forcing people to always move to the latest crap?
                    I definitely not like such bullshit!
                    If systemd developers adding crap, I'm afraid more and more of use will ump to the against-systemd side.
                    This is one of several taint flags and taint flags will be logged to the journal during boot, and you can at any time fetch the set taint flags with "busctl get-property org.freedesktop.systemd1 /org/freedesktop/systemd1 org.freedesktop.systemd1.Manager Tainted". This way organizations can collect those with scripts and let the IT department get a nice log of which users on their net that runs e.g out of date OS:es.
                    Last edited by F.Ultra; 07 October 2022, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X