Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs Brings Some Great Performance Improvements With Linux 6.1

Phoronix: Btrfs Brings Some Great Performance Improvements With Linux 6.1

I always love pull requests that start off with "there's a bunch of performance improvements..." as is the case with the new Btrfs feature pull for Linux 6.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good stuff

Comment

It’s good to see btrfs evolving into the FS it was originally promised to be. With ZFS never getting merged into the kernel I think it’s important that btrfs step up.

Personally I’d like to see someone implement an equivalent to Apple Time Machine using btrfs snapshots (maybe this already exists, I don’t know).

Comment

scottishduck Not familiar with Apple Time Machine, but is it maybe similar to Timeshift?

Comment

So some more performance improvements, some more fixes (raid5) and maybe, in ten year span, it would be usable as main fs?

Comment

Uh, about time for some new FS benches. I'm mostly interested in ext4, btrfs and f2fs.

Comment

Great.. I hope they'll merge the latest zstd too.

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
                Uh, about time for some new FS benches. I'm mostly interested in ext4, btrfs and f2fs.
                xfs too please

Comment

Originally posted by V1tol View Post
                  xfs too please
                  Zfs and ntfs3 too, pleae

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
                    Personally I’d like to see someone implement an equivalent to Apple Time Machine using btrfs snapshots (maybe this already exists, I don’t know).
                    For the more command-line oriented people: that's what snapper does.
                    There are also plugins for some package manager, so you can get before/after snapshot whenever you update software, whith support for GRUB to boot into an older snapshot if anything goes wrong.
                    ( e.g.: opensuse tumbleweed does that).

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
                    Not familiar with Apple Time Machine, but is it maybe similar to Timeshift?
                    After playing around in the past with the timemachine backups of my father:
                    Yup Time Machine does basically what Timeshift's Rsync mode does, but with a few extra proprietary quirks.

For details and tools about these quirks, look here:
                    • https://github.com/torarnv/sparsebundlefs -- Apple uses multiple split image files to store the file system so the whole thing still works no matter what the external storage is -- e.g.: FAT32 formatted harddisk, Samba network share, etc -- and suports sparse mode.
                    • https://github.com/abique/tmfs -- in order to simplify storage: Apple use a modified HFS+ format that violates POSIX standards and actually allow directory hardlinking, so no need for deep subdirectories traversal on each backup, only when one of the sub-sub directory has changed content.

Comment

Working...
                    X