Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenZFS 2.1.6 Released With Newer Linux Kernel Support, Fixes

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OpenZFS 2.1.6 Released With Newer Linux Kernel Support, Fixes

    Phoronix: OpenZFS 2.1.6 Released With Newer Linux Kernel Support, Fixes

    OpenZFS 2.1.6 was released on Monday as the newest stable update of this ZFS file-system implementation for Linux and BSD platforms...

    https://www.phoronix.com/news/OpenZFS-2.1.6-Released

  • #2
    ryao You're the only person I can think of here to quickly ask this: Is BLAKE3 coming with a future release like 2.1.7 or 2.2? Just tried to make a test dataset with BLAKE3 with 2.1.6 to see if maybe it slipped the release notes and it wasn't available.

    Not that I need it, I just happened to see the pull request get accepted in the past and when I was setting up some pools lately I made the mistake of using the online manpages which happen to track git master, not the current stable, where I thought "I'll give that a shot for shits and giggles" only it wasn't available.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
      ryao You're the only person I can think of here to quickly ask this: Is BLAKE3 coming with a future release like 2.1.7 or 2.2? Just tried to make a test dataset with BLAKE3 with 2.1.6 to see if maybe it slipped the release notes and it wasn't available.

      Not that I need it, I just happened to see the pull request get accepted in the past and when I was setting up some pools lately I made the mistake of using the online manpages which happen to track git master, not the current stable, where I thought "I'll give that a shot for shits and giggles" only it wasn't available.
      2.1.7 will only have backported bug fixes and performance tweaks. New features like BLAKE3 would come when master is branched for either 2.2 or 3.0. I am not sure if we are releasing 2.2 or 3.0 next. Work on merging MacOS support and Windows support is in progress, so if that is done in time for the next major release, it will be 3.0. Otherwise, it should be 2.2.
      Last edited by ryao; 04 October 2022, 08:49 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ryao View Post

        2.1.7 will only have backported bug fixes and performance tweaks. New features like BLAKE3 would come when master is branched for either 2.2 or 3.0. I am not sure if we are releasing 2.2 or 3.0 next.
        Thank you. That satisfied all my curiosities.

        Work on merging MacOS support and Windows support is in progress, so if that is done in time for the next major release, it will be 3.0. Otherwise, it should be 2.2.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ryao View Post

          2.1.7 will only have backported bug fixes and performance tweaks. New features like BLAKE3 would come when master is branched for either 2.2 or 3.0. I am not sure if we are releasing 2.2 or 3.0 next. Work on merging MacOS support and Windows support is in progress, so if that is done in time for the next major release, it will be 3.0. Otherwise, it should be 2.2.
          Hopefully RAIDZ expansion as well
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by darkbasic View Post

            Hopefully RAIDZ expansion as well
            The PR needs to be refreshed, but it seems likely to be merged for the next major release:

            https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/12225

            https://freebsdfoundation.org/blog/r...ature-for-zfs/

            Since I suspect the next question will be about reflink support, I can say that it is in development too.

            https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/13392
            Last edited by ryao; 04 October 2022, 03:14 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ryao View Post

              The PR needs to be refreshed, but it seems likely to be merged for the next major release:

              https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/12225

              https://freebsdfoundation.org/blog/r...ature-for-zfs/

              Since I suspect the next question will be about reflink support, I can say that it is in development too.

              https://github.com/openzfs/zfs/pull/13392
              I'd say you guessed the next question correctly!
              I was hoping to get raidz expansion in the next major version, but not reflink (which is the one I care the most).
              Is it really going to be in the next major version?
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

              Comment

              Working...
              X