No announcement yet.

The Initial Rust Infrastructure Has Been Merged Into Linux 6.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

over 12k LOC for just basic infrastructure enablement? Are you kidding me? I hope this bloat gets deleted soon as part of regular cleanups for good!

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

The results from this will come much sooner than in a few years. A usable version of the M1 GPU driver seems to be months away now.
      Which also requires extending Rust support to aarch64 (currently only x86_64 is supported). Other platforms and drivers for newer hardware will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

Which also requires extending Rust support to aarch64 (currently only x86_64 is supported). Other platforms and drivers for newer hardware will follow.
        Are you sure about this? The M1 driver by definition is for aarch64.

Comment

LLVM supports aarch64, armv7, powerpc and etc.
          I literally run rustc and built binaries on my M1 and also cross compile another rust project to powerpc.

Comment

EDIT: I misunderstood the quoted message – the support for building Rust on platforms other than x86_64 is not in the kernel yet (and will have to be extended) and that was probably meant above.

I’m sorry for misinterpreting it!

Which also requires extending Rust support to aarch64 (currently only x86_64 is supported)
            Where do you get that nonsense from?

aarch64 is literally the first platform listed there among Tier 1 support:
            Last edited by silmeth; 04 October 2022, 06:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rene View Post
              over 12k LOC for just basic infrastructure enablement? Are you kidding me? I hope this bloat gets deleted soon as part of regular cleanups for good!
              If you took a glance at the diff, a gargantuan chunk of that is documentation. Pretty sure you're not saying you want less documentation?

Comment

Originally posted by silmeth View Post

Where do you get that nonsense from?

aarch64 is literally the first platform listed there among Tier 1 support:
                https://doc.rust-lang.org/rustc/platform-support.html
                I'm no kernel developer, but it seems the Kbuild and other associated important files only exist for x86 in this initial patch; I think that's what archkde means by support needing to be extended to other archs.

Comment

Originally posted by Gobelet View Post

I'm no kernel developer, but it seems the Kbuild and other associated important files only exist for x86 in this initial patch; I think that's what archkde means by support needing to be extended to other archs.
                  Ah, the support in the kernel to be extented to aarch64, not in the compiler itself. Yeah, that makes sense, I misunderstood, sorry!
                  Last edited by silmeth; 04 October 2022, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Joke's on you, it was a signed integer with input verification!
                    Too long!
                    Not everyone would catch that...
                    ...but the Rust compiler sure wood!

Programming jokes need layers

Jokes aside, you probably just drew a compelling caricature of why so many devs are at least interested in exploring Rust as an alternative to C where possible... imagine not needing to bend backwards at every second line of code to avoid stupid repetitive pitfalls and reimplement their verbose mitigations all the time throughout the codebase... plus making the useful code more readable because the extra lines don't need to be in the codebase.
                    Last edited by marlock; 04 October 2022, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by silmeth View Post
                      Ah, the support in the kernel to be extented to aarch64, not in the compiler itself. Yeah, that makes sense, I misunderstood, sorry!
                      Having said that, the support for building Rust on both arm32 and arm64 does exist in the Rust-for-Linux tree, so it’s just that this initial patch-set doesn’t contain it (the support in the kernel needs to be extended, but it generally is ready – it just wasn’t included in the initial minimal PR and will be submitted in a later one):

Comment

Working...
                      X