Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 6.0 Released With Many Intel & AMD Driver Additions, IO_uring Keeps Advancing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sdack View Post
    And why only now? Intel has been supporting Linux for a while now and quite successfully.
    Geslinger is an engineer. So, he's perhaps a bit more engineering-focused than some of his immediate predecessors.

We don't know what Intel's plans for this award are, but it might be that they didn't want to use it in an obviously self-interested way, for the first time around. Perhaps they're using it as a way of trying to gain some credibility with the Linux community, which currently dominates key markets where Intel plays. Or maybe they're trying to ingratiate themselves (even more) with Linus, since he holds the keys to the kingdom.

For the longest time, people used to talk about "Wintel" as a short-hand for Microsoft + Intel. I don't even know the last time I've heard that term.

Originally posted by sdack View Post
    The only remarkable innovation in recent times between Linux and Intel is perhaps io_uring,
    Linux gives Intel a means of enabling much of what it wants to do with its hardware. And thanks to Linux, the level & timeliness of support for their hardware isn't subject to whims of Microsoft (in server & embedded markets, at least).

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
      Pat: hey "Lainus", how about changing your workstation to a real computer, a Intel based computer?
      Linus: you guys have a workstation lineup?
      Pat: eh, well...
      Sapphire Rapids: for those who want more P-cores!

In other news, benchmark leaks of Zen 4 Threadripper are already beginning to surface.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
        But the godfather is still Stallman with all his GNU stuff. Without GNU the Linux ecosystem couldn't get compiled
        I don't want to take away anything from what Stallman and the FSF did, but you guys realize there was free software before him, right? We had things like ITS, BSD, and lots of public domain source code.

That's not to downplay the significance of GPL or GNU tools, but what Stallman did was largely a reaction towards an industry trend of increasingly proprietary software. It's not as if the world consisted only of proprietary software, until he came along.

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post
          Fells like that 6.0 was rushed. It it waited just one release the 6.0 could celebrate the all the disruptive changes:

- Rust support
          - MGLRU
          - BTRFS async

and with this 6.0 would mark huge changes.
          I think memory folios rate higher than BTRFS async writes, for most users, and they came a couple releases ago.

Linux is a continual parade of improvements, fixes, regressions, etc. Some releases are more consequential than others, but the concept of Major.Minor versioning is really out of place. I wish they'd switch to a sequential numbering scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by C8292 View Post
            Fells like that 6.0 was rushed. It it waited just one release the 6.0 could celebrate the all the disruptive changes:

- Rust support
            - MGLRU
            - BTRFS async

and with this 6.0 would mark huge changes.
            Yeah. Also because there's a small chance that 6.0 will become this year's LTS release. In which case the more stable distros (and wider community) won't benefit from those cool features for at least another year (two in the case of Debian).
            Last edited by ATLief; 03 October 2022, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post

The whole interchange between them was extremely awkward. No idea why Linus agreed to it.

Check it here: https://youtu.be/V3wE1wMIBXs?t=3747

It's like Pat wanted to cater to Linux users and it didn't work.
              Well, looking at the video there is nothing strange here. Back in the days of 386 Intel was a capable company
              with 1st class CPUs and Linus started his programming with this CPU as basis - which eventually lead to Linux.
              Inovation and working on open source to increase eyeballs to get somthing correcty was his idea
              right from the beginning.
              And after having said "Or is Intel basically saying "we are committed to selling you shit
              forever and
              ever, and never fixing anything"?",
              Linus really can take this price without
              being ashamed.
              And on the other side, management at Intel would not have changed without such clear words - even though
              Intel has still no CPU (or GPU) to sell to any technical informed person ...
              That's the reason it is all about the good old days ... 386 - which is no longer supported by Linux - cough!
              But yes, getting this by AMD would be more appropriate today ... that's for sure - but at least Intel is still good
              in writing code ... unfortunately no competitve silicon available since a very long time ... but time will tell
              if Intel can change this in the next decades to come ...

Comment

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
                Inovation and working on open source to increase eyeballs to get somthing correcty was his idea
                right from the beginning.
                I think it's relevant that he started with Minix as a sort of reference point, which was non-free but open (you could get the source code with Tanenbaum's textbook). Perhaps it influenced his decision to share the code?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minix#...hip_with_Linux

Originally posted by JMB9 View Post
                ... Intel is still good in writing code ... unfortunately no competitve silicon available since a very long time ...
                Last year, Alder Lake retook the lead in single-threaded performance from Zen 3, but still struggled in energy efficiency.

Raptor Lake vs. Zen 4 could be a repeat. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

He doesn't use cocaine unless you have proof. He's 52, he looks average for his age believe it or not, he's not fat, his belly may be larger than usual for his age though.
                  As to hair, my hair started becoming gray when I was a teenager, by now almost all my hair is grey and since I started balding I realized becoming bald is uglier and worse.
                  When I was in high school I was friends with a kid that at 18 looked like Linus in his 40s. Bad genetics; I saw his dad at a parent/teacher conference and he was 35-45 and looked 55-65.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    Bad genetics; I saw his dad at a parent/teacher conference and he was 35-45 and looked 55-65.
                    Don't forget diet & lifestyle. Those are also heritable traits, to some degree.

15 years ago, I dropped like 10-15 pounds, just by improving my diet. It happened over a period of a couple years, where I was just trying to improve my focus and productivity by eating better. I didn't have an explicit goal of weight-loss, nor did my activity level change.

Then, I began regular exercise and started to learn just how much of my weight was excess.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
                      the concept of Major.Minor versioning is really out of place. I wish they'd switch to a sequential numbering scheme.
                      Why is that? Because major/minor implies that a major version is backwards incompatible (or smth like this) and Linux ignores this convention?

Comment

Working...
                      X