Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MGLRU Patches Merged To "mm-stable" Ahead Of Linux 6.1 - New Benchmarks Look Good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGLRU Patches Merged To "mm-stable" Ahead Of Linux 6.1 - New Benchmarks Look Good

Phoronix: MGLRU Patches Merged To "mm-stable" Ahead Of Linux 6.1 - New Benchmarks Look Good

As further indication of MGLRU hopefully being mainlined for Linux 6.1 as planned, the Multi-Gen LRU patches have now been moved to Andrew Morton's mm-stable branch...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Not to shabby. Fingers crossed for 6.1.

Comment

It yields a significant benefit. I hope it is going to be implemented in the next kernel revision.

Likely, it's more useful for servers than workstations.
      Last edited by MorrisS.; 27 September 2022, 09:29 AM.

Comment

We have been implementing for a long time

​https://owncloud.netext73.com/s/44eG9m66PCz16YS

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
          It yields a significant benefit. I hope it is going to be implemented in the next kernel revision.

It's running on chromebooks already, just FYI about usability for clients =)

Comment

I think it can benefit workstations in low-RAM situations. But with my 32GB, I won't be in a position to test this anytime soon :P

Comment

It's been said to be useful for low memory devices as well. I expect it to be useful for my old netbook with 2GiB and my Raspberry

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I think it can benefit workstations in low-RAM situations. But with my 32GB, I won't be in a position to test this anytime soon :P
                Just use teams + chrome + phpstorm and these 32 GB will be used in no time

Comment

Originally posted by dispat0r View Post

Just use teams + chrome + phpstorm and these 32 GB will be used in no time
                  I hate teams with a passion, I use Chromium (as a secondary browser) and I don't do PHP, but I do use Idea for Java/Rust/Go.

I did have some problems with Chromium: cycling through tabs would balloon RAM usage until it ran out. But I haven't seen that in a while.

Joking aside, I'm pretty sure coming up with artificial scenarios to inflate RAM usage kind of defeats the purpose of MGLRU.

Comment

I hate teams with a passion
                    But you don't get to choose. Nobody uses it by choice, but by imposition by their employers.

I use Chromium (as a secondary browser)
                    For what matters here they are both the same thing. The spyware telemetry is not the main source of bloat there.

Joking aside, I'm pretty sure coming up with artificial scenarios to inflate RAM usage kind of defeats the purpose of MGLRU.
                    While nobody says it's your particular case (and being fair, you were talking about your own workstation and nobody else's), take into account there's not much artificiality in the example, except maybe for the php stuff. A lot of people, possibly a majority, deal with those programs due to their employers' policies.

Comment

Working...
                    X