No announcement yet.

Btrfs Async Buffered Writes Slated For Linux 6.1 - 2x Throughput Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Btrfs Async Buffered Writes Slated For Linux 6.1 - 2x Throughput Improvement

Phoronix: Btrfs Async Buffered Writes Slated For Linux 6.1 - 2x Throughput Improvement

Queued up in the Btrfs for-next Git repository ahead of the Linux 6.1 merge window is support for async buffered writes that can offer a more than two times throughput improvement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This deserves some benchmarks!
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Great, now I can loose my data to bugfs twice as fast.

Comment

Really impressive!
        But I wonder why don't they also upgrade the Zstd code from version 1.4.10 to 1.5.2, latest upstream released almost a year ago?
        For many of us that use BTRFS+Zstd compression to save some space, especially on laptops with limited storage capacity, what's the point to have performance improvements only on BTRFS side and none on the Zstd side?
        They even said that they made it easier to keeps kernel Zstd code more in sync with upstream, but it seems that has been forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post
          Great, now I can loose my data to bugfs twice as fast.
          wow! such an original and unexpected comment!

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post

wow! such an original and unexpected comment!
            Lost my whole FS converting from ext4 to BTRFS going from Debian Wheezy to Jessie a few years back. Glad they finally put a warning on the ext4 to BTRFS converter that it is not guaranteed to work. My mom's linux computer also had weird issues on BTRFS that were not reproducible on ext4 and in that case I started with a BTRFS system! Too many weird cases with BTRFS when almost everyone I've talked to who has used it has had some weird issue.

Comment

Are these "async buffered writes" relevant for normal users? Do they happen during normal operation or is this some exotic corner case which is used only very rarely?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                Really impressive!
                They even said that they made it easier to keeps kernel Zstd code more in sync with upstream, but it seems that has been forgotten.
                Poke the maintainer? Or bump it yourself?
                I mean, if the interface is clean and the code doesn't do any revolutionary new stuff, then it should be an easy port, right?

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post

Poke the maintainer? Or bump it yourself?
                  I mean, if the interface is clean and the code doesn't do any revolutionary new stuff, then it should be an easy port, right?
                  Yes. Because busting developers' balls is going to accomplish... what?

Comment

Maybe I'm not well informed about file systems in general, but if btrfs really is buggy and unstable as many say, then how come Facebook uses it at its data centers? I mean isn't it a mission critical use case?

Comment

Working...
                    X