X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by Ladis View Post
    Closed source apps are usualy commercial, thus you vote with your wallet. And there's still the workaround in wrappers, e.g. like we play pre-DX9 games on Windows 10.
    People who pay for crossover support that end up funding wine servers and core developer are normally not paying for games but commercial business applications.

I ask the question that the developers of Wine will have land on them sooner or latter. Is it simple to work out these API issues with open source application yes it is because you can see both sides. Yes people are already voting with their wallet.

Leave a comment:

• Ladis
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

what are you going to-do when a closed source application turns up needing the same thing that some user want to run.
    Closed source apps are usualy commercial, thus you vote with your wallet. And there's still the workaround in wrappers, e.g. like we play pre-DX9 games on Windows 10.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by Ladis View Post

Is it really a problem of WINE? The app uses a feature of Windows, which is not present in Linux*:

Windows.Security.Credentials Namespace
    Provides a common way to securely store and manage your passcodes, passphrases, and other identification information.​​
    As others noted the app is opensource and multiplatform. That also means you can add a special codepath in the Windows version when running in WINE on an OS not containing the secure place to store passwords.

*) WINE can't depend on incompatible keychains specific to some desktop environments. And others don't have any.

There is a common standard on Linux for accessing password storage and the like. But this does not align with Windows.Security.Credentials.

Yes there is work that will see other options that provide the common standard that are not desktop linked.

Wine implements lots of different features that are not present in normal Linux for Windows application compatibility. Some cases wine does not implement the feature because there is way to say to application feature is missing and applications work around it being missing

Wine policy is compatibility. Please note wine compatibility policy trumps security as well. So yes wine rules it would be valid to implement insecure version of Windows Security Credentials if it made applications work.

Also adding special code path to application as solution does not agree with Wine policy that applications should work. Yes this applicaiton is open source what are you going to-do when a closed source application turns up needing the same thing that some user want to run. So custom patching the application just kicked the problem down the road and at time point it will have to be fixed in wine anyhow because there will be some application not working because it missing.

Leave a comment:

• Ladis
    replied
    Originally posted by oiaohm View Post

KeePassXC Portable​ if you look at the bug reports about it. Yes windows application on USB key to take with them to use in other systems.

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=53176 Mind you KeePassXC still does not work right yet. Fixed one problem only to get to the next one.
    Is it really a problem of WINE? The app uses a feature of Windows, which is not present in Linux*:

Windows.Security.Credentials Namespace
    Provides a common way to securely store and manage your passcodes, passphrases, and other identification information.​
    As others noted the app is opensource and multiplatform. That also means you can add a special codepath in the Windows version when running in WINE on an OS not containing the secure place to store passwords.

*) WINE can't depend on incompatible keychains specific to some desktop environments. And others don't have any.
    Last edited by Ladis; 24 September 2022, 11:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    Originally posted by middy View Post
    just what i want, hair picks and eggplants in my code comments
    you don't know what unicode is, do you?

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by archkde View Post

So just don't use them in filenames if you don't need that functionality. Other people like that they can have hair picks and eggplants in their filenames. It's really that simple.
    I've got a strip_emoji.py to make filenames from youtube-dl play nice with K3b if anyone needs it. (Turns out genisoimage doesn't like Astral/non-BMP code points... it's in good company with things like git gui.)

Leave a comment:

• archkde
    replied
    Originally posted by middy View Post
    just want i want, hair picks and eggplant emojis in my filenames. emojis were a mistake.
    So just don't use them in filenames if you don't need that functionality. Other people like that they can have hair picks and eggplants in their filenames. It's really that simple.

Leave a comment:

• oiaohm
    replied
    Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    I hereby gratefully accept this new moose emoji on behalf of all Canadians. :P

On a more serious note... why were people trying to run KeePassXC under Wine when it's cross-platform and open-source?
    KeePassXC Portable​ if you look at the bug reports about it. Yes windows application on USB key to take with them to use in other systems.

https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=53176 Mind you KeePassXC still does not work right yet. Fixed one problem only to get to the next one.

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    I hereby gratefully accept this new moose emoji on behalf of all Canadians. :P

On a more serious note... why were people trying to run KeePassXC under Wine when it's cross-platform and open-source?

Leave a comment:

• middy
    replied
    Originally posted by ALRBP View Post

You know that Unicode is not only for filenames, right?
    just what i want, hair picks and eggplants in my code comments

Leave a comment:

Working...
X