Linux NTFS Driver Preparing "nocase" Case-Insensitive Mount Option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux NTFS Driver Preparing "nocase" Case-Insensitive Mount Option

Phoronix: Linux NTFS Driver Preparing "nocase" Case-Insensitive Mount Option

The NTFS3 kernel driver providing read/write Microsoft NTFS file-system support on Linux, thanks to the code being open-sourced by Paragon Software, continues to see new improvements...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know how file name resolution happens, usually, but I wonder if tools on Linux are prepared to deal with case insensitivity if the filesystem is mounted with that option turned on.

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
      I don't know how file name resolution happens, usually, but I wonder if tools on Linux are prepared to deal with case insensitivity if the filesystem is mounted with that option turned on.
      I'm not the most knowledgeable when it comes to filesystems, so I'm wondering what would happen in such a case. Would the kernel just throw an error and stop the program from doing such a thing? Or could it possibly be more disastrous?

Comment

I'd much prefer that Windows adopt case sensitivity like a sane OS!

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix_anon View Post
          That would be completely unrealistic at this point, decades worth of code inconsistencies where people used capitalization in one place and lowercase in another, not just in windows but all over the place. It would be a nightmare to port for fairly little gain.

Comment

Most likely that option will be restricted to NTFS mounted volumes only. You don't have to worry about your Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix_anon View Post
              There you go: https://petri.com/turn-windows-10-nt...e-sensitivity/

Comment

Originally posted by microchip8 View Post

Most likely that option will be restricted to NTFS mounted volumes only. You don't have to worry about your Linux.
                THe NTFS volume will be mounted on a Linux system. And then I can use Linux tools (for both GUI and CLI) to operate on it.

I'm not talking about installing Linux on it. I'm talking about what would happen when operating on an NTFS volume, mounted with the case-insensitive option on Linux, using Linux tools.

Comment

THe NTFS volume will be mounted on a Linux system. And then I can use Linux tools (for both GUI and CLI) to operate on it.

I'm not talking about installing Linux on it. I'm talking about what would happen when operating on an NTFS volume, mounted with the case-insensitive option on Linux, using Linux tools.
                  Case inesneitive option only applies to your Linux. If you mount NTFS with case sensitivity and put first foo.txt then Foo.txt, the latter will stick

Comment

Originally posted by microchip8 View Post

Case inesneitive option only applies to your Linux. If you mount NTFS with case sensitivity and put first foo.txt then Foo.txt, the latter will stick
                    In this scenario both should stick.

Comment

Working...
                    X