X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anarki2
    replied
    This is awesome news.

At the same time, pretty ridiculous - apparently we'll have systemd support sooner than them fixing IPv6 in WSL2 (which worked in WSL1 before).

This discussion thread is an offshoot of this issue thread: #4518 for any folks who want to continue sharing work arounds / ideas for this space. Any updates on the progress for this feature will b...

Leave a comment:

• cynic
    replied
    Originally posted by cardich View Post
    No human being in their right mind would make this kind of "forecast."
    making forecast is the underlying mechanism of life, in case you didn't know

Leave a comment:

• cardich
    replied
    Originally posted by cynic View Post
    Canonical is trying to save himself... at the end, they'll become irrilevant and will be the first "Linux vendor" to die.
    No human being in their right mind would make this kind of "forecast."

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    Also, I don't understand why MS hasn't purchased Canonical yet.

Leave a comment:

• fuzz
    replied
    Originally posted by STiAT View Post
    I really like being able to use systemd and WSL. It's nice for my development workflow since I am forced to use Windows at work, and all my servers are Linux, and WSL is certainly more comfortable than cygwin ever was.

Though, will take some time, I am still on WSL1 since I can't seem to get network going on WSL2 through VPN.
    Yeah, I came here to post about WSL2 being essentially useless in a significant amount of corporate environments because of forced VPN tunnels.

Give this a shot, it uses the same workaround "docker for desktop" uses.

But for me I get issues with "file not found" because our entire user profiles are sync'd with onedrive or something, preventing WSL from being able to execute windows executables :/

Leave a comment:

• STiAT
    replied
    I really like being able to use systemd and WSL. It's nice for my development workflow since I am forced to use Windows at work, and all my servers are Linux, and WSL is certainly more comfortable than cygwin ever was.

Though, will take some time, I am still on WSL1 since I can't seem to get network going on WSL2 through VPN.

Leave a comment:

• cj.wijtmans
    replied
    The old guard dont care anymore because they can spy on you now through hardware/firmware and the internet/iot. And blackrock/vanguard owning big shares in major corporations to assert their influence. Like intel MEI engine gives full hardware access to your screens for example. We should still resist telemetry that allow key programs to search up all your info to make it harder for them at the very least.

Leave a comment:

• rhavenn
    replied
    Originally posted by Delgarde View Post

No, he's gone. He still had a position on the board and an advisory role until a few years ago, but he's not been a driving force behind the company since he and Ballmer stepped away from management positions (chairman and CEO respectively) nearly a decade ago.

And I think there's a pretty clear link between the departure of the old guard, and the major shift in focus that we've seen from Microsoft since then. De-emphasising software sales and the Windows platform in favour of services was necessary, but not something that could easily have occurred while the founders were still around.
    Yeah, MIcrosoft doesn't care what OS you run anymore. They're more than happy to help you run Linux as long as it gets them some sweet, sweet Azure / O365 subscription money. Heck, they also just released some hooks to allow Ubuntu / Linux to tie into Intune, do AAD auth and allow for conditional access policies. Personally, that's a game changer to allow me to keep running Linux in a corporate Windows world. see: https://www.anoopcnair.com/intune-su...rollout-guide/

Leave a comment:

• Delgarde
    replied
    Originally posted by danger View Post

That may be true about Ballmer, but I don't believe Gates is gone. I think he's still exerting an enormous influence over Microsoft.
    No, he's gone. He still had a position on the board and an advisory role until a few years ago, but he's not been a driving force behind the company since he and Ballmer stepped away from management positions (chairman and CEO respectively) nearly a decade ago.

And I think there's a pretty clear link between the departure of the old guard, and the major shift in focus that we've seen from Microsoft since then. De-emphasising software sales and the Windows platform in favour of services was necessary, but not something that could easily have occurred while the founders were still around.

Leave a comment:

• cynic
    replied
    Originally posted by lowflyer View Post

corrected out of good will. But normally people can keep all the spelling mistakes they find in my writing for themselves for free.
    we are not normal people here, we are (very) case sensitive

Leave a comment:

Working...
X