Microsoft & Canonical Bring systemd To WSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cynic View Post

I won't hold my breath on this, as it would be in contrast with the very essence of Microsoft.

It is far more probable that they'll use their dominant position on the desktop market to infiltrate Windows + WSL in the datacenter and, ultimately, gain market share in that area at the expense of other competitors.

Canonical is trying to save himself by being part of this plan but, at the end, they'll become irrilevant and will be the first "Linux vendor" to die.
    Are you a prophet, a soothsayer, or a fortune teller? Do you practice palmistry or tea leaves reading?

Comment

Originally posted by cardich View Post

Are you a prophet, a soothsayer, or a fortune teller? Do you practice palmistry or tea leaves reading?
      LOL!

literally every single human action (even the smallest and insignificant ones) are dictated by some kind of forecast we make.
      Using a company's well-known behaviour to predict what it will do in the future might not be accurate, but surely you can't call it "prophecy, palmistry or leaves reading" (unless you are a complete moron, of course).
      Last edited by cynic; 22 September 2022, 04:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        Ok you are, your comments are quite Super Sajyajin

Comment

Originally posted by antonyshen View Post
          I don't care~
          I have to use Windows in the office but luckily I can have Linux PC when needed so it's just a ssh thing to get jobs done. For me I hate to run Linux thing inside a VM and pretend it works well on a Windows machine.
          Well, when I signed up for my last job, requirement was that I am allowed to use the OS of my choice. They didn't expect someone to use Linux
          Still using it (14 years).
          Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

Originally posted by OmniNegro View Post
            While there are certainly things to hate about this, we must remember the good side of this. The more Linux stuff MS adopts, the sooner it will be before MS gives up on Windows and becomes another Linux distro.

It is not impossible. And if it does happen, Wine may be greatly improved.
            Unfortunately, you will need 20Gb of HD storage space, 2 CPU's and 8GB of RAM to just bring windows along the linux you use.
            Linuxer since the early beginnings...

Comment

"systemd"... will bring down Windows the same way it brought down Linux.

Unless they make Windows run as one of the "systemd"... units. Imagine being able to do something like:
              Code:
              $ sudo systemctl start windows

</sarcasm>
              Last edited by lowflyer; 23 September 2022, 03:00 AM. Reason: correct spelling

Comment

Originally posted by lowflyer View Post
                SystemD will bring down Windows the same way it brought down Linux.

Unless they make Windows run as one of the SystemD units. Imagine being able to do something like:
                Code:
                $ sudo systemctl start windows

</sarcasm>
                it's still spelled "systemd"...

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  Well, I guess that's good news for developers that target Linux. One less reason to bother about creating a Windows build of your apps.
                  will both developers do so?

Comment

Hmm, I wonder which units are enabled. I can’t imagine this would play nicely with systemd-oomd. systemd-resolved could be problematic too. The docs do not have that info so I guess I’ll just have to try it out.

Comment

Originally posted by cardich View Post
                      He is a prophet in the same way as being able to predict that going sky diving without a parachute is a dumb idea.

Yes, you might land on a massive ditch filled with nice soft cotton wool, you can't predict the future 100%. However a safer bet is that a crooked company like Microsoft, consistently ruining the industry is waiting below for you to land on.

Comment

Working...
                      X