No announcement yet.

Microsoft & Canonical Bring systemd To WSL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am actually happy about this. I have been using Arch and NixOS on WSL as testing grounds for which is better for my use case, thus I have been using DistroD. This has been somewhat of a kludge in practice, so now more distros will be able to work on Windows. All good things.

Honestly, I am amazed at how well it is working as is, but improvement is a good thing.

Comment

Personally the only way I get to run Linux in a locked-down financial firm setting, multiple different places as a contractor, is WSL, and lack of Systemd was always the sticking point for server applications I needed in my dev environment. This will be of huge benefit for me.

Comment

I tried WSL once.

Lack of systemd was a deal breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

The triad of evil only aligns once every 500 years. Now we will see The Eclipse & Gods Hand ;P
          We've got to use Eclipse now?

Comment

Still waiting for that LSW

Comment

they should just make a "linux version of windows"

Comment

Originally posted by OmniNegro View Post
                The more Linux stuff MS adopts, the sooner it will be before MS gives up on Windows and becomes another Linux distro.
                I won't hold my breath on this, as it would be in contrast with the very essence of Microsoft.

It is far more probable that they'll use their dominant position on the desktop market to infiltrate Windows + WSL in the datacenter and, ultimately, gain market share in that area at the expense of other competitors.

Canonical is trying to save himself by being part of this plan but, at the end, they'll become irrilevant and will be the first "Linux vendor" to die.

Comment

Originally posted by cynic View Post
                  I won't hold my breath on this, as it would be in contrast with the very essence of Microsoft.

It is far more probable that they'll use their dominant position on the desktop market to infiltrate Windows + WSL in the datacenter and, ultimately, gain market share in that area at the expense of other competitors.
                  That's old-time thinking. Gates and Ballmer are long gone, and Windows doesn't is as central to the MS empire as it once was. Most of their revenue these days comes from services — not from selling software — and they're probably making as much money off Linux hosting on Azure than they do off Windows. The existence of WSL reflects the acceptance that they've lost the battle for the server, and are protecting the desktop by making it easier to develop for Linux from Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by bpetty View Post
                    Windows, the best way to run Linux.
                    With half of the Linux performance? Keep dreaming. Not to mention Windows security holes and spying nature.

Comment

I used WSL to install Samba (didn't work) and was disappointed that there was no systemd.

Comment

Working...
                      X