No announcement yet.

CUPS 3.0 Continues Being Crafted To Overhaul Linux Printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CUPS 3.0 is a major architecture overhaul with moving away from PPD files and just relying on IPP Everywhere, splitting local printing from network printing support, and various other design improvements.
    They'd better not be obsolescing my perfectly functional laser printers that I got for free because they don't have drivers for modern Windows.​

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

They'd better not be obsolescing my perfectly functional laser printers that I got for free because they don't have drivers for modern Windows.​
      There are also a number of enterprise situations where IT does not want to deal with a dozen protocols and the way they can crash the printer. I've seen a number of departments disable all protocols that aren't 9100, and having been a print admin myself I can't say I blame them.

IPP is also not STIG IIRC.

Comment

IPP can't seem to access all of my printer's functions like the official ppd filter can. Isn't eliminating ppd and only using pure ipp going to cripple printer functionality compared to the current situation?

Comment

A minor data point: I think I tried IPP on my Brother HL-1210W once and was surprised to see I couldn't print anything. Is this something that will improve with time?

Comment

Working...
          X