Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUPS 3.0 Continues Being Crafted To Overhaul Linux Printing

Phoronix: CUPS 3.0 Continues Being Crafted To Overhaul Linux Printing

Ever since OpenPrinting took over CUPS upstream from Apple, this widely-used, open-source print server has been back to having a vibrant future. CUPS development ceased at Apple and there wasn't much going on until last year when CUPS founder Michael Sweet and OpenPrinting provided new life to the project...

https://www.phoronix.com/news/CUPS-3...cture-Overhaul

Wasn't CUPS supposed to be dead and replaced by something else (can't remember the name)?
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      Wasn't CUPS supposed to be dead and replaced by something else (can't remember the name)?
      PAPPL

Comment

Good to see it being updated, it seems to have been fairly stagnant for years and years as far as I can tell, even when Apple developed it.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          If I understood correctly, PAPPL is a library to create printer applications that are used by CUPS instead of traditional drivers.

Comment

My printer doesn't have proper Linux drivers (I thought it did, joke's on me), I wonder if any of these efforts will bring it back to like.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              My printer doesn't have proper Linux drivers (I thought it did, joke's on me), I wonder if any of these efforts will bring it back to like.
              A lot of printers in the past 10 years or so have Apple AirPrint support which means it probably supports the Apple Raster format (URF). The newer versions of CUPS have a 'rastertopwg' filter that converts Apple's URF to PWG (Printer Working Group)'s raster. It then sends that conversion directly to the printer, with no vendor-specific filters being involved. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by hamishmb View Post
                Good to see it being updated, it seems to have been fairly stagnant for years and years as far as I can tell, even when Apple developed it.
                Stagnated because Apple abandoned it.

Comment

Michael

grammar

"Michael Sweet took to Linux Plumbers Conference this week to reaffirm the work on CUPS 3.0 and the near-term 2.5 update."

should probably be

"Michael Sweet took to the Linux Plumbers Conference this week to reaffirm the work on CUPS 3.0 and the near-term 2.5 update."

Comment

When it says the socket API == ipp for both the client and the server-- does this mean that 9100 / RAW printing is being deprecated?

Relying only on IPP seems terribly optimistic, there are many scenarios where that isn't going to cut it. I hope they're only talking about client-server comms.

Comment

Working...
                    X