Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux's Modern NTFS Driver Preparing A "hidedotfiles" Option

Phoronix: Linux's Modern NTFS Driver Preparing A "hidedotfiles" Option

Since NTFS3 was mainlined last year in the Linux kernel as a modern NTFS read/write file-system driver developed by Paragon Software, it's mostly just been some fixes since then and other minor updates. A new NTFS3 patch series sent out today is at least preparing a new feature for this kernel driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

How has everyone's experience been with the kernel driver? I've read that the developers are kind of unreliable and that it isn't particularly well maintained. Is this something that is generally considered safe to use?

Comment

Originally posted by risho View Post
      How has everyone's experience been with the kernel driver? I've read that the developers are kind of unreliable and that it isn't particularly well maintained. Is this something that is generally considered safe to use?
      I use it from time to time for old windows partition and all works fine. In my opinion is much faster than ntfs-3g driver.

Comment

Originally posted by risho View Post
        Works without problems here. I've been copying many GB of data from Linux partition to Windows and nothing broke.

Comment

Hello all! Do you know Arch Linux kernel still has this ntfs3 module in it? I couldn't find it the last day.

Comment

A really nice feature would be a case insensitivity option. A proper one that behaves like the windows user space implementation (not like lo-ntfs that basically just turns everything lowercase). Well, one can dream ....

Comment

Maybe I read the code wrong, but…
              I understand that hidedotfiles is checked only at inode creation time. This means if I create a file ".foo" and then rename it "foo" it will remain hidden on NTFS? Conversely, if I create "foo" and then rename it to ".foo" it will remain visible?

Comment

Originally posted by aksdb View Post
                A really nice feature would be a case insensitivity option. A proper one that behaves like the windows user space implementation (not like lo-ntfs that basically just turns everything lowercase). Well, one can dream ....
                I don't think it's possible without adding some non standard (something that Windows wouldn't support) flags or something similar to partition itself. On Linux (and many Unix like as well) case insensitive support is part of filesystem itself, not user space. NTFS is internally case sensitive and act as case insensitive on Windows due to userland. Since user space on Linux doesn't really care if filesystem is case sensitive or not I don't think there is an easy way to copy Windows behavior. On ext4 case insensitive is implemented in file system and requires adding attribute to directory to make it case insensitive. On macOS you need to decide about that when you format partition and you can't change that after it or have both case sensitive and case insensitive directories on one partition.
                Last edited by dragon321; 13 September 2022, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

I don't think it's possible without adding some non standard (something that Windows wouldn't support) flags or something similar to partition itself. On Linux (and many Unix like as well) case insensitive support is part of filesystem itself, not user space. NTFS is internally case sensitive and act as case insensitive on Windows due to userland. Since user space on Linux doesn't really care if filesystem is case sensitive or not I don't think there is an easy way to copy Windows behavior. On ext4 case insensitive is implemented in file system and requires adding attribute to directory to make it case insensitive. On macOS you need to decide about that when you format partition and you can't change that after it or have both case sensitive and case insensitive directories on one partition.
                  Ext4 also requires you to format the partition with the -O casefold option. If you don't do that you can't chattr +F $DIR. Also set at creation time, XFS needs -n version=ci while JFS needs -O. I believe those are partition-wide. On ZFS you can set casesensitivity=(sensitive, insensitive, or mixed) when you create a dataset. With ZFS, that's the only time you can set sensitivity and, once set, is permanent.

Comment

Originally posted by xcom View Post
                    Hello all! Do you know Arch Linux kernel still has this ntfs3 module in it? I couldn't find it the last day.
                    Yes it is, in both latest and LTS kernel packages..

Comment

Working...
                    X