No announcement yet.

Wine 7.17 Released As A Small Update For Running Windows Games/Apps On Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 7.17 Released As A Small Update For Running Windows Games/Apps On Linux

Phoronix: Wine 7.17 Released As A Small Update For Running Windows Games/Apps On Linux

Wine 7.17 is out as the newest bi-weekly development release but due to the US Labor Day this past week seems to be a driving factor in this update coming in rather small...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If I would five years ago asks, what runs on Linux best and what worst, i would say,
    - that Linux is good for brrowsing in the Internet with Firefox, Chrome, etc.
    - working with LibreOffice & Co.
    - older MS-Office working with WINE and CrossOver.
    - and a lot other Windows-programs are working with WINE and CrossOver.
    Problematical should Linux for
    - modern games (also with WINE [nearly] no AAA- or AA-title works)
    - special solutions of programs, which are only existing on Windows.

On August, 21th, 2008 Valve published Proton.
    And currently working a lot of games with it. Including a lot of AA- and AAA-title.
    I am wondering, how many games are working on Linux with WINE / Proton. And all in this short time. It is amazing!

Currently I think, the game support of WINE is now good, we need now more support for normal programs like actual MS-Office, Visual Studio, etc running on WINE.

But it seems, that Codeweavers and the WINE developers have not so much capacity.
    So it would be nice, if a big player, like Valve is it for games, is working to bringing normal Windows programs to Linux.

Comment

theuserbl I fully second your comment there! Gaming is now much much better on Linux, but we really need Office working and then for bonus points SolidWorks and Revit!

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
        If I would five years ago asks, what runs on Linux best and what worst, i would say,
        - that Linux is good for brrowsing in the Internet with Firefox, Chrome, etc.
        - working with LibreOffice & Co.
        - older MS-Office working with WINE and CrossOver.
        - and a lot other Windows-programs are working with WINE and CrossOver.
        Problematical should Linux for
        - modern games (also with WINE [nearly] no AAA- or AA-title works)
        - special solutions of programs, which are only existing on Windows.

And currently working a lot of games with it. Including a lot of AA- and AAA-title.
        I am wondering, how many games are working on Linux with WINE / Proton. And all in this short time. It is amazing!

Currently I think, the game support of WINE is now good, we need now more support for normal programs like actual MS-Office, Visual Studio, etc running on WINE.

But it seems, that Codeweavers and the WINE developers have not so much capacity.
        So it would be nice, if a big player, like Valve is it for games, is working to bringing normal Windows programs to Linux.
        Could not agree more, also lately Wine is suffering so many regressions as to render useless plenty of software that used to run perfectly.

Wine tends to go in circles (one step forward, two steps back, ten steps forward, 5 steps back etc) all the time, the worst part is that it also affects the commercial version (crossover) which for some reason I can not fathom lacks what other wine front-end has nowadays and it is the ability to use different versions of wine per bottle.

I understand that the multi-wine approach is bad in the long term, but come on, many people paying for crossover truly depend on running some piece of windows software (my case at least).

I understand that none of this is trivial but for the end user it can get unnerving.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
          I didn't know about Proton when I started using Linux in 2014!

Comment

Originally posted by Setif View Post

I didn't know about Proton when I started using Linux in 2014!
            Ooops. My mistake. wrong written. I meant 2018.

Comment

A major regression in 7.16 has been solved (affected all the users who changed DPI in Wine):

#53601 UI rendering broken for multiple applications (7-Zip, WinRAR, foobar2000, built-in apps) in Wine 7.16 at a non-default DPI

Also, there was an annoying bug which was only noticed by me for some reasons (and it affected pretty much everyone who compiled Wine with GCC):

#53032 winedevice.exe segfaults on exit when built with GCC

Overall this is a nice release with no serious regressions to speak of. All the apps that I use work just fine.

Comment

Hope they'll have enough time to stabilize Wine towards the 8.0 release early next year. I usually don't use Wine development versions, but I recently tried one of the recent versions and it was crashing simply by opening winecfg (I guess it's probably because of all the PE conversions still ongoing).

Comment

What about Wine Staging?

Comment

There's a sort of working wow64 now[1] so I'm guessing the PE conversion is coming to an end. It's only opengl32 and openal32 is still to be converted now, and they're not big compare to a lot of other ones they converted.

1 https://gitlab.winehq.org/jacek/wine/-/commits/wow/

Comment

Working...
                    X