Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software Freedom Conservancy Votes To Accept Sourceware.org

Phoronix: Software Freedom Conservancy Votes To Accept Sourceware.org

For the past two decades Red Hat has been behind Sourceware.org for providing hosting for open-source projects like Cygwin, GNU GCC, GDB, Glibc, and many other projects. While Red Hat continues to sponsor the hosting and having their employees be involved with the Sourceware.org maintenance, etc, for ensuring a secured future they have been looking to hookup with the Software Freedom Conservancy (SFC). The SFC has now voted in favor of accepting this long-time open-source hosting service into their umbrella...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good news. I think they should add an interface more similar to GitHub/GitLab. Their website looks very 90s. Bugzilla and gitweb?

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
      Good news. I think they should add an interface more similar to GitHub/GitLab. Their website looks very 90s. Bugzilla and gitweb?
      No thank you. Out of all the things you mentioned, I like GitHub's interface the best, but the 90's look of this site looks really good to me as well. Clean, fast, no schmuck. Just as supposed to be.

Comment

I expected GNU GCC to use GNU Savannah on FSF infrastructure. I wonder how GNU projects being hosted by SFC will influence the relationship between FSF and SFC.

Comment

Originally posted by alexvoda View Post
          I expected GNU GCC to use GNU Savannah on FSF infrastructure. I wonder how GNU projects being hosted by SFC will influence the relationship between FSF and SFC.
          A number of core GNU projects have very little direct association with FSF anymore and are largely maintained and hosted by large organizations. Look up things like EGCS fork, Glibc committee issues etc for some of the history here.

Comment

The name SFC gives me cold chills.

For some reason, reminds me of Microsoft's reknown sfc scan tool. Using the sfc scan tool is common advice, and implied to solve all of their Window's secretive product licensing/key operating system blocking tactics.

Think I prefer Gitlab, versus Github.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post
              To begin with, GitHub is fully proprietary, and also probably* massively violates licenses of hosted open source projects by selling GPLed code & white-labelling other codes after laundering it through generative language models with their "co-pilot" service.

* yet to be tested legally, but at least this is an interpretation SFC supports https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2022/...github-launch/

Comment

Originally posted by mb_q View Post

To begin with, GitHub is fully proprietary, and also probably* massively violates licenses of hosted open source projects by selling GPLed code & white-labelling other codes after laundering it through generative language models with their "co-pilot" service.

* yet to be tested legally, but at least this is an interpretation SFC supports https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2022/...github-launch/
                Testing my bad grammar here, I couldn't agree more!

As to why people have flocked to github is beyond me.

On the flip, could it just be a mass migration of present and former MS employees being allowed github profiles? An interesting analogy, likely wasn't bought by Microsoft, as github was already owned by Microsoft?

On another similar related conflict, over the past years, developers have also pretty well mangled the wonderfully working simplistic Unix/Linux one-click copy-paste algorithm, while attempting to simulate Microsoft Windows' pain in the arse copy paste procedure.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerx View Post

For some reason, reminds me of Microsoft's reknown sfc scan tool. Using the sfc scan tool is common advice, and implied to solve all of their Window's secretive product licensing/key operating system blocking tactics.

You meant codeberg ( hosted in the EU , protected from evil us corps and AI )

Comment

Working...
                  X