Blender 3.3 Released With Intel oneAPI Backend, Improved AMD HIP Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blender 3.3 Released With Intel oneAPI Backend, Improved AMD HIP Support

Phoronix: Blender 3.3 Released With Intel oneAPI Backend, Improved AMD HIP Support

Blender 3.3 is out this morning as the newest version of this widely-used, open-source and cross-platform 3D modeling software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

*cries in non-professional GPU*

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
      *cries in non-professional GPU*
      you don't need professional GPU.

Blender doesn't benefit from for example Quadro/A series GPUs comparing to normal RTX/geforce. Only issue is maybe with AMD since they have 2 seperate architectures one for compute and one for gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by piotrj3 View Post

you don't need professional GPU.

Blender doesn't benefit from for example Quadro/A series GPUs comparing to normal RTX/geforce. Only issue is maybe with AMD since they have 2 seperate architectures one for compute and one for gaming.
        You straight up can't access CDNA in desktops or even cloud instances, so its kinda irrelevant in the workstation space.

This strategy always puzzled me. Nvidia's habit of seeding their HPC architectures in desktop systems and small cloud instances has been extremely effective, and Intel is trying to do something similar.

Comment

Michael

Typo "fasster" should be "faster"

Comment

convince me to buy nvidia in one sentence

- The AMD HIP back-end has been extended to now work going back to GFX9/Vega hardware on Windows and Linux. RDNA1 and GFX9/Vega issues were worked out since Blender 3.2 to allow broader AMD Radeon GPU support for Blender.
            done.

Comment

Typo:

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                convince me to buy nvidia in one sentence
                You buy NVidia because brand new AMD stuff works now on older hardware? Where is the logic?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

You buy NVidia because brand new AMD stuff works now on older hardware? Where is the logic?
                  it's because Polaris is effectively deprecated in the eyes of AMD. The RX 590 came out in 2018. not a great length of period for support. AMD has been nothing but a shit show lately.

and considering how popular Polaris still is. The fact that blenders not getting support for is quite honestly a damn shame. AMD has had a lot of issues. but this for me is the nail in the coffin, polaris doesn't support wlroots vulkan, doesn't support Vulkan zerocopy in libplacebo. no AMF hevc support etc.

im done wasting money supporting AMD, their linux support isn't even that great anymore. Ive bought AMD constantly, and was my go-to for putting into customer computers. not anymore.

Comment

it's because Polaris is effectively deprecated in the eyes of AMD. The RX 590 came out in 2018. not a great length of period for support. AMD has been nothing but a shit show lately.
                    The fact that blenders not getting support for is quite honestly a damn shame.
                    POLARIS is from 2016. And it is hard to support features in hardware if the hardware is not capable to support those features.

im done wasting money supporting AMD, their linux support isn't even that great anymore. Ive bought AMD constantly, and was my go-to for putting into customer computers. not anymore.
                    Their support for new hardware is better than it ever was. It is just the ancient stuff which falls under the table.

I used to have a Polaris, too. Worked fine. I was even able to train neuronal networks with tensorflow & GPU acceleration back then. Then it died from heat or something and the GPU prices were on all time high. New GPU generation was just released and I was able to get a cheap used 1080X from Nvidia via eBay. For my tensorflow needs. The equivalent AMD hardware was way more expensive.

I can tell you this: the grass on the other side of the fence might seem nicer, but it is not. You don't have the same issues, but other issues for sure. Don't get me started on Wayland support and its software stability on Nvidia.

Comment

Working...
                    X