MGLRU Linux Performance Looking Very Good For OpenWrt Router Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Usage in Android is worth a bit more explanation, since no released Android version uses a kernel newer than 5.10. And even that is an about 20% of the device out there (according to this: https://gs.statcounter.com/os-versio...-share/android)
    bluejay:/ $ uname -a
    Linux localhost 5.10.107-android13-4-00005-ge05ae1680b1c-ab8715050 Home SMP PREEMPT Mon Jun 13 03:29:10 UTC 2022 aarch64 Toybox​

---
    CONFIG_LRU_GEN=y
    ​---
    Since Google developed it, and they've been maintaining their own kernels forever, I don't see why it's a big deal.

Comment

c'mon, merge it already! There's tons of data that MGLRU provides consistent and often very significant benefits with basically no regressions.

Comment

Originally posted by brent View Post
        c'mon, merge it already! There's tons of data that MGLRU provides consistent and often very significant benefits with basically no regressions.
        But it would pretty much never be of use in a normal router... if you are slamming your router with 110% ram use you should definitely upgrade it. I don't think I have ever had a router in the past 15 years over 75% ram use even my Ubiquiti stuff doesn't get that high and it tends to memory leak for a lot of people.

Comment

kylew77
          Snaipersky

From Michael's article:

Google is even using MGLRU in production already with Android and Chrome OS.
          You know, sometimes I feel really sorry for him and thinking to myself that he deserves a better class of readers...

(Sent from my new Chromebook with an Intel Celeron N5100 "Jasper Lake", which was a steal for only 200 €!)

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grouch View Post
            It'll take a while to get into a distributed version of OpenWrt. The team doing the maintenance, while excellent, don't have the capacity to turn out quick updates. They are still working on getting version 22.03 out, which was kind-of meant to be pushed out in March. It's at rc6 and will likely get to rc7. This is not a complaint, as the emphasis is on releasing a new version when it is ready.
            OpenWrt is brilliant, and the team producing need support and resources, not complaints about speed of delivery. If you can, please help them.
            Friday is the planned release of 22.03. A wifi bug regarding DSCP held up the release.

There's not enough manpower, yes.

Comment

Originally posted by NateHubbard View Post

bluejay:/ $ uname -a
              Linux localhost 5.10.107-android13-4-00005-ge05ae1680b1c-ab8715050 Home SMP PREEMPT Mon Jun 13 03:29:10 UTC 2022 aarch64 Toybox​

---
              CONFIG_LRU_GEN=y
              ​---
              Since Google developed it, and they've been maintaining their own kernels forever, I don't see why it's a big deal.
              It's not a big deal, it doesn't change how Android devices out there already work. I was just saying "production Android" is a vague estimation. That's all.

Comment

Well, the build system is quite friendly so if you feel like it building your own with a patched kernel is always an option and not too painful.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                  Google is even using MGLRU in production already with Android and Chrome OS.
                  I said I thought he said that in a prior article but didn't have the chapter and the verse handy so said I thought he said it

Edit: eh, your right it mentions it passingly in this article too!
                  Last edited by kylew77; 01 September 2022, 07:05 AM. Reason: Went back and re-read the article.

Comment

Heh… I had been carrying this in my tree for quite some time, so I opened up a pull request. Let's see how it goes…

Comment

Working...
                    X