Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short-Lived ASUS Sensors Linux Driver Being Removed In Favor Of Better Alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Short-Lived ASUS Sensors Linux Driver Being Removed In Favor Of Better Alternative

Phoronix: Short-Lived ASUS Sensors Linux Driver Being Removed In Favor Of Better Alternative

Mainlined to the Linux kernel less than one year ago was the "asus_wmi_ec_sensors" for supporting temperature / fan speed / CPU current sensor reading on a variety of newer ASUS motherboards. That driver is now being removed as a superior driver is taking over the ASUS motherboard sensor reading duties...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks like this new driver also has support for fans, hopefully I can finally ditch the it87 driver!

EDIT: I was mixing up asus and gigabyte drivers, guess I won't be ditching the it87 driver after all.
    Last edited by katt; 30 August 2022, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Sadly I think this means I'll never see my PRIME X370-PRO getting proper sensors support in mainline Linux-kernel.

It was never supported by asus_wmi_ec_sensors because the BIOS didn't support wmi at the time the driver was developed, but a BIOS-update (not sure which exactly, but somewhat recent) added wmi-support so I'm pretty sure asus_wmi_ec_sensors could have supported this board if it was added to the driver.

Meanwhile, I don't expect the new ASUS_EC_Sensors will ever support this board.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post
        Sadly I think this means I'll never see my PRIME X370-PRO getting proper sensors support in mainline Linux-kernel.

It was never supported by asus_wmi_ec_sensors because the BIOS didn't support wmi at the time the driver was developed, but a BIOS-update (not sure which exactly, but somewhat recent) added wmi-support so I'm pretty sure asus_wmi_ec_sensors could have supported this board if it was added to the driver.

I looks like someone is trying to add support for another X370 board (a Crosshair VI Hero WiFi AC) , if they get it to work for that chip, maybe, by fishing a bit around and tweaking some parameters, you could get it to work with your motherboard.

Comment

Originally posted by katt View Post
          Looks like this new driver also has support for fans, hopefully I can finally ditch the it87 driver!
          They should split the driver up and concentrate on it doing only one thing, and one thing well. They could call it onlyfans.

Comment

Originally posted by alvinde View Post

They should split the driver up and concentrate on it doing only one thing, and one thing well. They could call it onlyfans.
            And with support for 18+ sensors, we'll finally catch up to HWiNFO64!

Comment

do any motherboards report the wattage being drawn over pcie?

Comment

Originally posted by katt View Post

EDIT: I was mixing up asus and gigabyte drivers, guess I won't be ditching the it87 driver after all.
                My Asus B450 board looks still not supported by the new mainline driver. I miss my fan speed reading when the it87 still worked.

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I had a prime x370-pro and thought it had fairly good support. At least I could control the fans, unlike on my Crosshair 7 Hero.

You can try to get support added with the right information. See last section in readme: https://github.com/zeule/asus-ec-sensors

Comment

Originally posted by ResponseWriter View Post

I had a prime x370-pro and thought it had fairly good support. At least I could control the fans, unlike on my Crosshair 7 Hero.

You can try to get support added with the right information. See last section in readme: https://github.com/zeule/asus-ec-sensors
                    I've followed those instructions, but it doesn't return anything useful sadly.

Not that it's a huge deal for me personally. I set everything in the BIOS-interface and leave it like that, and I have a set of fan parameters I know are good for my system in a wide range of room temperatures and system loads. It's more out of curiosity that I've been eying the development of these drivers.

Comment

Working...
                    X