No announcement yet.

Webmin 2.0 Released For Open-Source Web-Based Server Management/Administration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webmin 2.0 Released For Open-Source Web-Based Server Management/Administration

Phoronix: Webmin 2.0 Released For Open-Source Web-Based Server Management/Administration

Webmin as a popular, open-source web-based server administration/management software package that is a popular alternative to the likes of cPanel and Plesk is out with its big "v2.0" release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Last time I used Webmin, I found the user interface quite terrible and hard to use. I had better luck just making changes in the .conf files directly. These days I use a control panel that does not take over the entire system like Webmin/cPanel, which just generates regular text config files, then all normal RPM updates just work. I'm using AlmaLinux (previously I had CentOS but that was killed, thank you redhat).

Comment

Last time we had Webmin installed on our server, it got hacked in like a week or so

Comment

Originally posted by lamka02sk View Post
        Last time we had Webmin installed on our server, it got hacked in like a week or so
        Did you expose it directly to the internet?? I would never expose any sort of admin console to the internet. If there is no alternative make sure its whitelist IP protected.

Comment

I do wish webmin would extend their platform thought. I would love to have a wireguard console built into it, or even available as some sort of module!

Comment

Originally posted by zexelon View Post

Did you expose it directly to the internet?? I would never expose any sort of admin console to the internet. If there is no alternative make sure its whitelist IP protected.
            Whitelist IP is not reliable, IPs can be spoofed.

The best setup for Webmin and similar software was always to run it in localhost and access it through an SSH tunnel.

Comment

I had a colleague who was a fan of Webmin. Personally I didn't like not knowing exactly what config files it would change. It didn't feel deterministic enough.

Did anyone here use Smit/Smitty on AIX? I like how it provides the underlying command before you execute via the GUI. Something like this more integrated into Webmin could be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Ungweliante View Post

Whitelist IP is not reliable, IPs can be spoofed.

The best setup for Webmin and similar software was always to run it in localhost and access it through an SSH tunnel.
                Yes, pretty much 100% agree, these admin consoles should just never be published web facing.

Comment

ssh, tmux, mc, nano, tigervnc, xfce, doublecommander, a slice of pizza and a cold pepsi is in my opinion much more productive than any web based admin tool that usually miss some important thing anyway...
                  Last edited by waxhead; 23 August 2022, 12:07 PM. Reason: Teh relguar asortmnet of tpyos....

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Is Webmin similar to Cockpit? I like Cockpit on Fedora Server

Comment

Working...
                    X