Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTFS3 File-System Driver Sees Late Refactoring For Linux 6.0

Phoronix: NTFS3 File-System Driver Sees Late Refactoring For Linux 6.0

NTFS3 as the modern Linux kernel read/write file-system driver for NTFS that was open-sourced by Paragon Software is seeing some late code refactoring and fixes for Linux 6.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

cutting it quite a bit close here. glad to see it make it in though,, as I do use NTFS more often then I would like. but nothing critical

Comment

is anyone using the NTFS3 driver yet?

it would be interesting to read users' experiences with it.

Comment

Is it me or that code seems messy? Why are Paragon so disorganized? Are they having issue due to the war and such? I tought most developers relocated years ago.

I desire the best for them, be more organized andbhipe more devs get into ntfs3 development.

And please merge their APFS implementation too! Do they need funds? Maybe a plan can be done.

Next step: ReFS, for future proof and avoid Microsoft vendor lock-in. Dotnet6 is the proof they were lying us, Kingpin style.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post

Mixed. It's fast and most of the time performs well. But sometimes it stops showing some files after moving/copying. And sometimes it left the filesystem in a slightly damaged state after a reboot (that was easily fixed with chkntfs). It happens rarely, but it happens. I suspect the chance rises when I have multiple NTFS disks mounted and used at the same time.

The speed is a very clear advantage over ntfs-3g (NTFS3 is significantly faster). But I would be careful what data I entrust it, yet. In my case it's just downloaded stuff (Steam games mostly).

Comment

Works great in RO mode, I refuse to use it in RW mode.

Comment

Originally posted by aksdb View Post
              And sometimes it left the filesystem in a slightly damaged state after a reboot (that was easily fixed with chkntfs). It happens rarely, but it happens.
              I tried it back when it first appeared in an official kernel release and experienced the same, chkntfs (or the filesystem check of windows) repaired it but a lot of old and already removed files appeared in the FOUND.000 directory that had to be revised and cleaned. After that underwhelming and disappointing experience I switched back to the NTFS-3G fuse driver which I'm using regularly accessing and shuffling data around on a shared data partition with Windows 10 and not having experienced any kind of such issues in years.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
                Is it me or that code seems messy? Why are Paragon so disorganized? Are they having issue due to the war and such? I tought most developers relocated years ago.

I desire the best for them, be more organized andbhipe more devs get into ntfs3 development.

And please merge their APFS implementation too! Do they need funds? Maybe a plan can be done.

Next step: ReFS, for future proof and avoid Microsoft vendor lock-in. Dotnet6 is the proof they were lying us, Kingpin style.
                It's just you. This patchset saw more than a dozen iterations before it was allowed in kernel. If anything, I would say that it is your mind that is messy judging by the nature and quality of your remarks.

Comment

Originally posted by aksdb View Post

Mixed. It's fast and most of the time performs well. But sometimes it stops showing some files after moving/copying. And sometimes it left the filesystem in a slightly damaged state after a reboot (that was easily fixed with chkntfs). It happens rarely, but it happens. I suspect the chance rises when I have multiple NTFS disks mounted and used at the same time.

The speed is a very clear advantage over ntfs-3g (NTFS3 is significantly faster). But I would be careful what data I entrust it, yet. In my case it's just downloaded stuff (Steam games mostly).
                  It's interesting that it has so many problems given they sold it as a commercial product for so long.

EDIT: This was wrong - this doesn't use the same codebase as the old commercial version.
                  Last edited by hamishmb; 18 August 2022, 04:11 PM.

Comment

A lot faster and even more when working with encrypted NTFS partitions in RAID configuration. Still no support for bitlocker but I use veracrypt as it performs faster with RAID on both linux and Windows.

Comment

Working...
                    X