No announcement yet.

Linux 5.19.1 Released With LTS Kernels Back To 4.19 For The "PBRSB" CPU Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.19.1 Released With LTS Kernels Back To 4.19 For The "PBRSB" CPU Issue

Phoronix: Linux 5.19.1 Released With LTS Kernels Back To 4.19 For The "PBRSB" CPU Issue

A number of new Linux kernel stable releases are out this week with new mitigations around the latest batch of published CPU security vulnerabilities. Linux 5.19.1, 5.18.17, 5.15.60, 5.10.136, 5.4.210, and 4.19.255 are the new releases out today...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very curious for the perf impact of the pbrsb Michael!

Comment

no 4.14?

Comment

This patch is still not included in 5.18.x stable. It's now a month old. FFS. Two weeks ago I asked all the three developers behind it to push it to stable. No one cares.

What does it manifest in? After resume, your BT devices won't be able to connect automatically to your BT host/computer because the code is simply wrong. 5.19 contains the fix.

Comment

Oh, and 5.19 has an ext4 regression. Not critical, but quite serious for some. Never mind, some people here believe I hate open source. Must be a madman considering all the time I've invested to fix a metric ton of issues in Open Source over the past 25 years.

Comment

I disabled all these mitigations on my productive system. Performance above all <3

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
              I disabled all these mitigations on my productive system. Performance above all <3
              Same here. I won't pretend the vulnerabilities aren't serious but the mitigations are simply chipping way too much performance away from my workflows (mostly noticeable when gaming inside a VM with gvt-g + my nvidia gpu passed through where it goes from being mostly smooth to a stuttery mess). If I have to choose between security and being able to use my computer for the work I want, I'll choose the latter.
              Last edited by fong38; 11 August 2022, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
                Oh, and 5.19 has an ext4 regression. Not critical, but quite serious for some. Never mind, some people here believe I hate open source. Must be a madman considering all the time I've invested to fix a metric ton of issues in Open Source over the past 25 years.
                It's already shipped in every stable distribution. Oh, wait..

Maybe next time you'll focus to fix dozens of m$ issues?

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...t-ntfs-drives/

What is particularly concerning is how easy it is easy to trigger the bug. By simply changing to the folder in a command prompt, accessing it from the Run: field, opening it from File Explorer, Windows 10 would mark the drive as dirty and prompt you to reboot your computer and run chkdsk, as shown below.
                To make matters worse, threat actors and pranksters began distributing fake tools, malicious shortcuts, or malware [1, 2, 3, 4] on Discord and social media that, when executed, would access the folder and trigger the bug.

Threat actors could also use the bug to force a crash of a breached system to hide their activities.

While the error generated by the bug stated the drive was corrupted, Microsoft clarified that volume was only marked as dirty, and a reboot and chkdsk would quickly mark it as clean.

Unfortunately, in one of our and other people's tests, chkdsk did not fix the issue, and Windows 10 refused to boot again.
                in 'mature' Windows 10.
                Last edited by Volta; 11 August 2022, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Oh, and 5.19 has an ext4. Not critical, but quite serious for some. Never mind, some people here believe I hate open source. Must be a madman considering all the time I've invested to fix a metric ton of issues in Open Source over the past 25 years.
                  Maybe it's time for you to track serious m$ bugs? There are hundreds of them. Like this one:

The difference is Linux 5.19 was released recently which cannot be said about Windows 10 and 11. They're filled with bugs.

Comment

The ext4 bug is offtopic, no? After all, the Phoronix article is talking about CPU bugs, not FS bugs.

And the sloppy attempt to hijack a forum thread for meaningless self-promotion that is highlighted in RED.

Comment

Working...
                    X