Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.0 Promotes Its H.265/HEVC User-Space API To Stable

Phoronix: Linux 6.0 Promotes Its H.265/HEVC User-Space API To Stable

With the Linux 6.0 multimedia subsystem changes, the H.265/HEVC user-space API is now being considered stable...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Time for a silly question, so...
    will this trend involve some big Intel CPU also, as they included hardware decoding long time ago ?

Comment

I only see one instance of the word "intel", so I think it has nothing to do with that topolinik.

Give it time.

Comment

Are there such APIs for other codecs too, like H.264, VP9, AV1?
        How does this relate to Mesa APIs to decode encode for multiple codecs?
        Is this only for CPUs and Mesa's functions only for GPUs?

Comment

On my Ice Lake i5 1034G4 (so Gen11*), I noticed I don't have H/A in VLC when running H.265/HEVC videos and I don't understand why.

I have the latest Intel-media drivers installed, latest VA-API, latest GStreamer plugins. On Fedora 36.

4K H.264 works fine.

4K H.265 is doing CPU decoding.

Ice Lake should have 4K60 encode and decode.

Any ideas anyone?
          Last edited by Cryio; 24 August 2022, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cryio View Post
            On my Ice Lake i5 1034G4 (so Gen10), I noticed I don't have H/A in VLC when running H.265/HEVC videos and I don't understand why.

I have the latest Intel-media drivers installed, latest VA-API, latest GStreamer plugins. On Fedora 36.

4K H.264 works fine.

Any ideas anyone?
            Hardware decoding in VLC is dependent on a Radeon or Nvidia GPU. None of the intel GPUs work with it.
            Last edited by OmniNegro; 09 August 2022, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
              Are there such APIs for other codecs too, like H.264, VP9, AV1?
              How does this relate to Mesa APIs to decode encode for multiple codecs?
              Is this only for CPUs and Mesa's functions only for GPUs?
              Am I literally the only one who read the GIT?
              https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/[email protected]/
              Search that for vp9. (Case insensitive)

And sorry that I am a bit irritable today. It is not you guys. It is me.
              Last edited by OmniNegro; 09 August 2022, 07:31 AM.

Comment

On my Ice Lake i5 1034G4 (so Gen10), I noticed I don't have H/A in VLC when running H.265/HEVC videos and I don't understand why.

4K H.264 works fine.

Any ideas anyone?
                If I had to guess, then I believe your Fedora distro is the culprit here.

Try it on an Ubuntu-based distro to see whether that makes a difference.

OmniNegro

If what you said were true, than Cryio wouldn't be able to hardware-decode H.264 either...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

If I had to guess, then I believe your Fedora distro is the culprit here.

Try it on an Ubuntu-based distro to see whether that makes a difference.

OmniNegro

If what you said were true, than Cryio wouldn't be able to hardware-decode H.264 either...
                  He is speaking of CPU decoding. I was speaking of GPU decoding. There is a part of this that is plainly unknowable.

Comment

4K H.264 works fine.

Any ideas anyone?
                    Run vainfo and check the output. But if VLC doesn't support vaapi you'll have to install the vdpau-vaapi translation helper library. I heard it's not that good, but maybe it works for you. Otherwise you can switch to mpv, maybe with smplayer or something as front-end.

Comment

Working...
                    X