Linux 6.0 SMB3 Client Code Brings Multi-Channel Performance Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    How to convert Linux into a Windows slave, paid by Microsoft.
    Do you mean it would be better if Linux had substandard SMB support?

Comment

It's not bad per se as an isolated case, but Microsoft only promotes their own trchnologies instead adopting proper open srandards (no OpenGL, no Vulkan, no OpenDocument, etc.). OpenXML was a trap too, for example.
      In this case there wasn't a "proper open standard" (NFS is a joke) and this helps ensuring that SMB is not a Microsoft lock-in.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

In this case there wasn't a "proper open standard" (NFS is a joke) and this helps ensuring that SMB is not a Microsoft lock-in.
        yes, exactly!

I know some people have luck with NFS but GUI integration is basically non-existant, setup guides are all over the place saying very disparate things, and for my machines the nfs server just doesn't work no matter which guide I try, without any clue why.

I'd love nothing more than using an open standard (with smaller overhead) and proper support for user permissions like over a local storage... but the client is not available anywhere outside linux (not even android, humpf!) and even on linux it's such a PITA...

Having something like SMB/CIFS (a de facto standard) work as server and client over an opensource implementation is turning it into a mostly open standard (lacking only an open governance to ensure no future proprietary surprises)... if you see its open implementation as a problem you're probably seeing the still picture but not the movie, where it was less free and became more free (that particular tech and the network sharing niche as a whole)

Comment

Originally posted by Anux View Post
          Samba is the project, it includes many techs (SMB, LDAP, ...) as always wikipedia gives a good overview and the samba wiki goes into more details.
          Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post
          Looking at the PR, this is for the in Kernel client/FS code (CIFS).

I suppose these could help...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_(software)

That said, still confused about what the kernel provides sans Samba, but I think if I do some reading I can start to figure some things out. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
            That said, still confused about what the kernel provides sans Samba, but I think if I do some reading I can start to figure some things out. Thanks!
            The kernel provides an SMB client implementation allowing you to mount shares, no Samba required.
            Samba provides SMB server functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post

yes, exactly!

I know some people have luck with NFS but GUI integration is basically non-existant, setup guides are all over the place saying very disparate things, and for my machines the nfs server just doesn't work no matter which guide I try, without any clue why.

I'd love nothing more than using an open standard (with smaller overhead) and proper support for user permissions like over a local storage... but the client is not available anywhere outside linux (not even android, humpf!) and even on linux it's such a PITA...

Having something like SMB/CIFS (a de facto standard) work as server and client over an opensource implementation is turning it into a mostly open standard (lacking only an open governance to ensure no future proprietary surprises)... if you see its open implementation as a problem you're probably seeing the still picture but not the movie, where it was less free and became more free (that particular tech and the network sharing niche as a whole)
              Why not doing a proper alternative then?

Comment

Why not doing a proper alternative then?
                Well, you should be able to answer your own question. Why aren't you working on a proper alternative?

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post

Well, you should be able to answer your own question. Why aren't you working on a proper alternative?
                  No funding. No enough experience in the field. It would require a large team to make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by david-nk View Post

What would be the point in reinventing a wheel that no-one would use?

Comment

Working...
                    X