Linux 6.0 SMB3 Client Code Brings Multi-Channel Performance Improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.0 SMB3 Client Code Brings Multi-Channel Performance Improvement

Phoronix: Linux 6.0 SMB3 Client Code Brings Multi-Channel Performance Improvement

The Linux CIFS/SMB3 client updates were merged on Sunday for the Linux 6.0 merge window. Notable with this round of updates is a performance improvement for the multi-channel mode...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I think the phoronix watermark is awesome, but could you render it centered horizonal on the right side === maybe easier to read the bar graphs in this chart ?

Comment

How to convert Linux into a Windows slave, paid by Microsoft.

Comment

Would it be possible to switch between 4 channel and classic access based on the requested block size? Because the read iops are a good bit higher at 4 and 16K.

Comment

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
          How to convert Linux into a Windows slave, paid by Microsoft.
          Helping Linux achieve SMB/CIFS network shared folder support on-par with windows helps more people move AWAY from windows clients and cloud guests.

Linux also works more reliably as a SMB/CIFS server than windows for a while, so adoption of this standard doesn't tie people to windows either as a host or a guest.

The code was submitted to linux upstream under a FOSS license (the Linux Kernel's).

SMB3 also solves many security flaws found in the SMB1 and SMB2 protocol designs, and has been exaustively scrutinized over and over after WannaCry.

I'm curious how exactly you imagine this code submission to be a problem, instead of a solution...

Comment

I would love it if samba supported dfs properly, but only time will tell I suppose...

Comment

I'm a little confused on where the client comes from. Is this part of Samba? Or it this completely part of the kernel? I know there is now KSMBD kernel server. I just don't know where client stuff exists outside of Samba. But I am no expert, just wanting to learn more. Thanks!

Comment

Samba is the project, it includes many techs (SMB, LDAP, ...) as always wikipedia gives a good overview and the samba wiki goes into more details.

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
                  I'm a little confused on where the client comes from. Is this part of Samba? Or it this completely part of the kernel? I know there is now KSMBD kernel server. I just don't know where client stuff exists outside of Samba. But I am no expert, just wanting to learn more. Thanks!
                  Looking at the PR, this is for the in Kernel client/FS code (CIFS).

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post
                    Helping Linux achieve SMB/CIFS network shared folder support on-par with windows helps more people move AWAY from windows clients and cloud guests.

Linux also works more reliably as a SMB/CIFS server than windows for a while, so adoption of this standard doesn't tie people to windows either as a host or a guest.

The code was submitted to linux upstream under a FOSS license (the Linux Kernel's).

SMB3 also solves many security flaws found in the SMB1 and SMB2 protocol designs, and has been exaustively scrutinized over and over after WannaCry.

I'm curious how exactly you imagine this code submission to be a problem, instead of a solution...
                    It's not bad per se as an isolated case, but Microsoft only promotes their own trchnologies instead adopting proper open srandards (no OpenGL, no Vulkan, no OpenDocument, etc.). OpenXML was a trap too, for example.

Comment

Working...
                    X