Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by timofonic View Post
    Realtek, craptek...
    Oh the memories! rtl8139! 8139too.ko! I certainly remember that hardware behaving better than 3com or dec things (3c59x, de4x5).

Comment

I have a problem with RTL8811cu and Raspberry Pi OS:

This product no longer works with the provided driver/instructions due to a kernel change in Raspberry Pi OS. You can download an older version of Raspberry Pi OS which works with the provided driver, however you won't be able to update that image. We are working on finding a new driver.

https://www.pishop.co.za/store/wirel...with-antenna_0

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        It would be really nice if Realtek or somebody else would do something to add built-in support for Realtek RTL8812AU and RTL8812BU!
        Don't forget fixes to 8723BS (bullshit). What a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post

Jep, that's "every realtek adapter ever" in a nutshell.

I've got an old one (8273) in one of the NUCs, and it was like that for multiple years until someone rewrote the driver. Since then it tends to run at around 70Mb/s, and I've seen it break 100Mb/s (VERY rarely, but it can happen), which is outright amazing for a b/g/n card going to a different floor through multiple walls too. It still drops out: exactly once per host power or suspend cycle, after about 2mins of uptime - but then stays up forever, so I can live with that.

It actually outperformed the Intel adapter in the last laptop I had in here, by about 40%, which was a shock. So AFAICT, the RTL hardware itself is actually fine: it's just that they put absolutely no effort into their Linux drivers, and they also don't provide any documentation for anyone else wanting to improve or replace their code.

Doesn't surprise me at all that the drivers for their newest chips are just as terrible as the ones for their old chips. That's just how this market is, unfortunately. Given the choice, I'll always go with the Intel wifi too, even when it's that much slower, because I at least know it's likely to work on day one and will probably be stable.
          Those are so lame. Remember that modern APs communicate at 6,6 Gbps @ Wifi 6 4x4 MU-MIMO

Comment

Working...
          X