DreamWorks Animation To Open-Source MoonRay Renderer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

If this were true, then why doesn't Disney or Weta Digital open-source their in-house renderers?
    Must also be why Microsoft bought Github, starting using started using Linux (Azure and WSL) and various open source languages/tools. Open sourced DX12 headers and DirectML...

Because they are at the cutting-edge of their craft and therefore have no reason to do so, quite similar to nVidia's state-of-the-art proprietary driver components...
    🤣🤣🤣 Not sure if you are a shill or trolling.

The only state of the art tech that are in Nvidia's drivers are unlocking the amount of locks to ensure market segmentation to keep their monopoly. Open source drivers still can't handle the amount of locks on 10 year old cards.

Nvidia learned that marketing is more important than good products. They learned it all the way back in 2002 when they bought 3dfx Interactive.

I bought a 2k 165Hz Freesync gaming screen this week. After unboxing I noticed the screen had an Nvidia G-Sync sticker on it. I thought I received the wrong screen, but after checking the model number I found out it was actually the Freesync monitor that I ordered. I spoke to the suppliers and they told me that it's normal. All the Freesync screens come with G-Sync branding. It's just Nvidia's marketing that has to be everywhere even on products they don't make. Even at Nvidia's own events.
    nv.png
    • Nvidia lies to Gamers and Shareholders about how many cards they sell to mining, but Nvidia "Values Gamers": https://www.investopedia.com/nvidia-...osures-5271410
    • Nvidia forced ABIs to only use their flagship marketing brands on Nvidia products and then forced ABIs to not say anything about it: "Gaming Brand Aligned Exclusively With GeForce". Nvidia presented its new/updated GPP (GeForce Partner Program) a normally positive program "to better serve gamers", early in March 2018. Basically, Nvidia partners will get NVIDIA TLC when they join up, more of that in a lower paragraph. Nvidia in its latest GPP talks a lot about branding, the program is open and 'free for anyone to join' is also mentioned to be transparent and non-exclusive. However, here’s where the assumption now has risen, AIBs and OEMs have been reluctant to talk about the new GPP as they are a bit scared about the ramifications. Basically as a partner, if you don't join up in the GPP, as a company, you'll be placed in a lower to more 'poor' position with Nvidia. https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nv...ticism,22.html
    • Nvidia lies to Gamers and forces vendors to keep quiet about the 970's 3.5G fast RAM and 0.5G slow RAM and then saying there's nothing wrong with the card it was designed that way. They simply "miscommunication" the specs AKA lied to Gamers and that's what the CEO said: https://fudzilla.com/news/graphics/3...-gtx-970-issue
    • First Nvidia tried to create virtual market segmentation by limit their cards to G-SYNC only monitors. Nvidia then realized people are not going to pay the same premiums on screens like they do on over priced GPUs (e.g. Titan).
    • Next Nvidia made their cards work with Freesync screen and then payed off online shops to market "gsync compatiable" instead of freesync. https://youtu.be/5q31xSCIQ1E?t=8 effectively destroying the freesync branding.
    • Nvidia uses PRIZM which classifies every U.S. household (assembled by zip code) into 66 demographically and behaviorally distinct segments. They go through a lot of effort to create market segmentation https://embapro.com/frontpage/market...is/7727-nvidia while this is just good marketing it shows you how far Nvidia goes with marketing.
    Every company have shady practice, it's normal. Intel does it. AMD does it. Nvidia is just better at lying and bribing because their CEO motivates it.

I wonder why Nvidia's investors make it to the top 10 of the Forbes midas list (the Oscars for venture capitalists in tech). Nvidia is literally taking candy from a baby or a baby's parents in many cases. This is not going to change unless they get a more ethical CEO.

Nvidia's marketing is why there are so many Nvidia shills.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

Good one. More like "drivers using IP licensed from someone else, so they'd have to rewrite parts and that's a hard sell with execs".
      Care to share what that licensed IP is?

Comment

Is this Windows or Azure or other vendor lock only software ? There is no any mentioned platforms for which this application targeted to work.

Comment

No clue. They haven't said, but I remember that being part of why AMD had to rewrite their drivers when they went from fglrx to the open-sourced ones, so it wouldn't surprise me if nVidia were the same.

Comment

nVidia's state-of-the-art proprietary driver components...
            nvidiots are funny

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post

No clue. They haven't said, but I remember that being part of why AMD had to rewrite their drivers when they went from fglrx to the open-sourced ones, so it wouldn't surprise me if nVidia were the same.
              So you were infact just talking out of your a$$?

Noted...

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                nvidiots are funny
                Satanists even more so...

Comment

Originally posted by CommunityMember View Post

The studio's have finally admitted the obvious, that the value (of their production) is not the software and tooling itself, but the creative processes (the story, the characters), and there is no advantage in keeping the tooling locked up behind some proprietary wall.
                  This is only partially true. For studios that produce work entirely in-house (such as animation studios like Pixar, DreamWorks, Walt Disney Animation), this is true in many cases and usually for tools that can be considered general commodities (render engines, image viewers, etc). They don't compete with each other except on the films they produce. For contracting studios in VFX, advertising, etc this is less true because their proprietary technologies allow them to create competitive edges in areas (particularly with new or groundbreaking techniques) that can help in winning contract bids and engagements over other studios. And depending on the field the end deliverable isn't always just a series of images.

The majority of the time where open-sourcing doesn't make sense is because the tool is so specific to the way a studio works or wouldn't be generally useful to others. Pixar and DreamWorks have their own DCC packages (Presto and Premo respectively) rather than use off-the-shelf tools like Maya for parts of the production pipeline. No-one else would be able to use these tools without massively re-architecting the program to be pipeline agnostic. Every studio has a suite of tools developed in house that no-one outside the studio will ever use anywhere else, you will rarely find a place that is using strictly off-the-shelf DCC packages and plugins.

Originally posted by matsukan View Post
                  Is this Windows or Azure or other vendor lock only software ? There is no any mentioned platforms for which this application targeted to work.
                  DreamWorks is a CentOS based studio, their tools are Linux native. The mentions of Azure have to do with how the distributed compute aspect of MoonRay (Arras) works, and they are leveraging the cloud to provide those resources. Though I haven't seen the code, I'm willing to bet Arras is already relatively platform agnostic or wouldn't be too challenging to make so.

Check out some of the links in this Hacker News comment for some extra resources on MoonRay: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=32358843

Cheers,
                  Mike
                  Last edited by mroche; 07 August 2022, 03:17 PM.

Comment

So you were infact just talking out of your a$$?

Noted...
                    So you can't even argue in good faith convincingly enough to omit the early 2000s Micro$oft typing conventions?

Noted...

Comment

It's a well known historical occurrence that NVIDIA bought 3dfx interactive along with licencing to use technologies that were in turn licensed from other IP holders.
                      NVIDIA was forced against its will for two decades not to release open source drivers and they complained that multiple opengl implementations was trouble (mesa and theirs). Since hardly any Linux installations are desktops, maintaining the Xorg driver was overhead.
                      As time passed, they were able to rewrite the parts they did not own in the kernel driver. The actual libraries are more troublesome because replacing architecture is not something users will immediately agree to.
                      Last edited by ClosedSource; 08 August 2022, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X