MGLRU & Maple Tree Miss Out On Linux 6.0 But Will Aim For Linux 6.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MGLRU & Maple Tree Miss Out On Linux 6.0 But Will Aim For Linux 6.1

Phoronix: MGLRU & Maple Tree Miss Out On Linux 6.0 But Will Aim For Linux 6.1

A lot of great features are landing for Linux 6.0 but two more are now confirmed to partake in this next major kernel version: Multi-Gen LRU (MGLRU) and the Maple Leaf data structure...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That's unfortunate but not unexpected.

A lot of Linux stuff is big-iron, embedded etc.
    But MGLRU is a feature I hope can help in a big chunk of everyday desktop use.

So really looking forward to it landing.

Comment

Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
      That's unfortunate but not unexpected.

A lot of Linux stuff is big-iron, embedded etc.
      But MGLRU is a feature I hope can help in a big chunk of everyday desktop use.

So really looking forward to it landing.
      As I understand it, MGLRU is used in Android and Chromebooks which are some of the big driving factors behind new development.

And on desktop you can use it today already if you have a system that would benefit from it. For Arch the Zen kernel has MGLRU. And there is a Debian/Ubuntu kernel called Liqorix or something like that with it as well. Not sure what options (other than building your own kernel) you have on other distros though.

I have tried the Zen kernel but for my systems I really don't notice any difference, as they are not memory constrained at all. I suppose it might help on my Pi 2, but that runs headless and I rarely interact with it even over ssh.

Comment

MGLRU is not only about memory constrained performance but also about memory operations latency. It helps a little even in high CPU load when there is lots of memory available.

Comment

Originally posted by Vorpal View Post

. And there is a Debian/Ubuntu kernel called Liqorix or something like that with it as well.
          For sure xanmod kernel has it, and there are builds of that for debian/ubuntu and Fedora. Under very high memory load, zswap performs better and the kernel oom killer acts more quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by timrichardson View Post

For sure xanmod kernel has it, and there are builds of that for debian/ubuntu and Fedora. Under very high memory load, zswap performs better and the kernel oom killer acts more quickly.
            Can confirm the goodness coming to zswap and OOM: I'm actually writing this comment from and 4-core armv7 machine with 1Gb of RAM running Ubuntu Jammy, KDE Plasma and Firefox with three tabs opened.
            Despite being a bit slow, everything is at the right place and zram is doing it's work. Without MGLRU there were frequent system freezes and trashing was so severe the system become unusable in a matter of minutes.

Comment

That's a shame, but hopefully it will come in the next kernel version!

Comment

Working...
              X