Btrfs With Linux 6.0: Send Protocol v2, ~3x Boost For Direct Read Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pkese View Post

Both btrfs and ZFS are very advanced filesystems with amazing feature set and each being slightly better for some particular use cases.
    For a normal desktop / laptop / small RAID1 server, btrfs works really well while offering easy resizing / checksuming / compression / snapshots / send-receive / deduplication, etc. ,
    whereas for large servers, ZFS with RAIDZ and tiered caching is still hard to beat.
    Tiered caching is on ZFS advantage, however you will probably find that more large servers use btrfs than zfs. Not that it matters much, it means nothing quality-wiae either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Developer12 View Post

BTRFS is literally the ReiserFS successor.
      That was a joke on "killer FS".

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxad0127 View Post

That was a joke on "killer FS".
        I know. BTRFS is literally inspired by the work of a killer.

Comment

Originally posted by roviq View Post
          In my case I wanted to try ZFS L2ARC caching with a retail SSD, oh was I so wrong about reliability, ZFS keeps writing to the SSD the whole time (I thought it was a write here and there for some warm data, but no, it almost uses it as RAM), so it killed a new SSD (no NAS branded) in less than a month,
          Using a small SSD as an SLOG under zfs is what you probably should have done - I've run one for about 2 years with no SMART warnings (Transcend SSD370S 32GB)

Comment

Originally posted by itoffshore View Post
            Using a small SSD as an SLOG under zfs is what you probably should have done - I've run one for about 2 years with no SMART warnings (Transcend SSD370S 32GB)
            MLC disk (two-level cells).

Comment

roviq: I want to try a read cache.
              you: what you should've done is speeding up sync writes instead
              me: how is that relevant in any way to setting up a read cache?

Comment

Originally posted by thulle View Post

roviq: I want to try a read cache.
                you: what you should've done is speeding up sync writes instead
                me: how is that relevant in any way to setting up a read cache?
                you don't even use zfs - if you did you would know messing about with L2ARC is not worth it

if you don't have anything constructive to say keep your mouth shut

Comment

you don't even use zfs - if you did you would know messing about with L2ARC is not worth it

if you don't have anything constructive to say keep your mouth shut
                  Yes, the ZFS devs made this useless function that has no use case at all. Never been used, never worth it. They didn't even set it up to play around with like the person above you commented that they did.

I asked you a question, and you can't even answer it. Instead you speak with faux authority about what FS I use, which just proves that all other bs you spout can be disregarded as well. Have a nice evening.

Comment

Originally posted by thulle View Post

Yes, the ZFS devs made this useless function that has no use case at all. Never been used, never worth it. They didn't even set it up to play around with like the person above you commented that they did.

I asked you a question, and you can't even answer it. Instead you speak with faux authority about what FS I use, which just proves that all other bs you spout can be disregarded as well. Have a nice evening.
                    you obviously don't use this "useless" filesystem

you whine like a child

Comment

you obviously don't use this "useless" filesystem

you whine like a child
                      It's my root fs on everything from laptops to servers. If you had any competence you'd analyze the persons use case instead of suggesting pool layouts willy nilly.

Comment

Working...
                      X