Linux 5.19 Released - Linus Torvalds Released It From An Apple Silicon MacBook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
    ...the only thing I have really upgraded in laptops in the past is the SSD and (maybe) RAM..
    The soldered RAM still can be accepted as a majority of laptop users rarely upgrade their RAM. But the soldered + unupgradeable SSD is a dick move. That's why I call those: garbages; cause when it breaks, will directly go to the bin. And everybody that buying these garbage is, IMO, not a good earth citizen, as they promote using one-time-use electronics.

I'm in line with people that says that Linus should promote something like framework laptops. These kind of things is the one worth promoting. Maybe in the future when common users/ repair shop could repair these M1-M2 with ease, only then I'll call it superb (those M1-M2s). Their M1 & M2 lines is, in fact superb, if only everything is not soldered down.
    Last edited by t.s.; 02 August 2022, 12:02 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
      And everybody that buying these garbage is, IMO, not a good earth citizen, as they promote using one-time-use electronics.
      Eh. I have a 6 year old laptop with a M.2 drive that I've never replaced. It might as well be soldered. Then again, it might be a higher-quality component than what you'd find soldered down.

I agree with you on non-repairable/upgradable devices, but I think you're mostly just drawing a line in the sand. What's really needed is better standards for design and construction that enable a larger proportion of these devices to be safely recycled. Maybe even levy a tax, based on the proportion that's recyclable.

I'm in line with people that says that Linus should promote something like framework laptops.
      He's the lead kernel developer. The only thing he really should do with hardware is promote devices that are in line with Linux' values. Ideally, from a contributor to the Linux Foundation. Apple is decidedly neither. It's cool that they sort of tacitly avoided obstructing the effort of the Asahi team, but I think Linus' attitude is a little too retro -- seemingly hearkening back to the days when pretty much all Linux hardware support was reverse-engineered.
      Last edited by coder; 01 August 2022, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        Eh. I have a 6 year old laptop with a M.2 drive that I've never replaced. It might as well be soldered. Then again, it might be a higher-quality component than what you'd find soldered down.
        You're lucky that it works as intended. But as in all electronics, we can't predict when they break (shit happens). I've had a laptop (thinkpad X220) that have RAM problems. My client SSD break, too. Luckily, it's Desktop PC. When you deal with > 40 laptops/ PCs, you bound to encounter something like hardware failure. And I think you realize too, that not everyone have income to afford a MBPro or maybe Studio. In local fb linux groups that I joined, many of them have just 2-4GB RAM, and still use HDD. Maybe as them why?

Or say, after a few year in the future, you're not using that laptop again, could you give it to someone that's in need? As it's half usable now because the storage, say, just have < 30% remaining health because it's soldered down. As when if the storage is not soldered, that someone (or you) could just buy another SSD to replace/upgrade the half-dead SSD.

IMO, you could write something like these, my guess is that you did-do-will not, have intention to donate your laptop/ PCs, or maybe put it in e-bay; It'll go straight to bin.

I agree with you on non-repairable/upgradable devices, but I think you're mostly just drawing a line in the sand. What's really needed is better standards for design and construction that enable a larger proportion of these devices to be safely recycled. Maybe even levy a tax, based on the proportion that's recyclable.
        Rather than recycled, why not make it reusable? When recycled, you've to do something that use more resources than if you just reuse it. And we could achieved it with something that have modular design, as in framework laptop. Or our standar desktop PC, where you're guaranteed with better reusability and upgradeability. Like I said in previous comment, not a good earth citizen.

He's the lead kernel developer. The only thing he really should do with hardware is promote devices that are in line with Linux' values. Ideally, from a contributor to the Linux Foundation. Apple is decidedly neither. It's cool that they sort of tacitly avoided obstructing the effort of the Asahi team, but I think Linus' attitude is a little too retro -- seemingly hearkening back to the days when pretty much all Linux hardware support was reverse-engineered.
        Ditto!

Comment

Originally posted by Forge View Post

It isn't, at least on Asahi/M1. There's no GPU driver yet, so it's 2D only and full software render.
          He could still be using Wayland on the MacBook. Wayland compositors can work with software rendering, just like Xorg can.

Comment

Or say, after a few year in the future, you're not using that laptop again, could you give it to someone that's in need? As it's half usable now because the storage, say, just have < 30% remaining health because it's soldered down. As when if the storage is not soldered, that someone (or you) could just buy another SSD to replace/upgrade the half-dead SSD.
            Actually, that touches on an interesting point. If I donated or sold a SSD (or computer containing one), I'd want to use secure-erase to make the prior contents unrecoverable. However, I don't know if devices with soldered-down storage would support that. I guess it depends on how standard it is, among the controller chips.

That said, I do tend to keep PCs for so long that they're not of much use to anyone, by the time I'm done with them. My desktop & fileserver are both more than 10 years old.

Rather than recycled, why not make it reusable? When recycled, you've to do something that use more resources than if you just reuse it.
            Yup. I totally get this point, but the upgradable route has been tried and didn't catch on. I think we need to accept that most users do not want the cost, bulk, weight, and reliability issues that come with upgradability. You can keep hoping, but try to be realistic.

That said, maybe regulations or a special tax can help shift that equation. It's not going to happen simply by consumer choice.

Comment

Working...
            X