Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IO_uring Zerocopy Send Is Ready For Linux 5.20 Networking

Phoronix: IO_uring Zerocopy Send Is Ready For Linux 5.20 Networking

The long in development work around IO_uring zero-copy send for the Linux kernel's networking subsystem is now ready for mainline...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Io_uring continues to improve

Comment

It'll be interesting to see how much this affects real-world use cases like Redis read from Optane.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
        It'll be interesting to see how much this affects real-world use cases like Redis read from Optane.
        This added feature here is zero-copy send for network socket, not for reading from Optane.

And yeah, it will be great if db like redis supports io-uring, but given that redis is often used as a in-memory database with persistent, I guess the performance improvements won't be as significant as something like postgresql, which mostly handles data larger than the ram.

Comment

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post

This added feature here is zero-copy send for network socket, not for reading from Optane.

And yeah, it will be great if db like redis supports io-uring, but given that redis is often used as a in-memory database with persistent, I guess the performance improvements won't be as significant as something like postgresql, which mostly handles data larger than the ram.
          I didn't suggest that it was for Redis read from Optane. I used Redis read from Optane as an example of an application that was *fast enough* to see an impact due to improvements to the networking subsystem. ie DMA from Optane to memory, DMA from memory to the network device, marshalled by Redis, and comparing zero-copy to in-core copy. Now do you get it?
          Last edited by linuxgeex; 22 July 2022, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post

I didn't suggest that it was for Redis read from Optane. I used Redis read from Optane as an example of an application that was *fast enough* to see an impact due to improvements to the networking subsystem. ie DMA from Optane to memory, DMA from memory to the network device, marshalled by Redis, and comparing zero-copy to in-core copy. Now do you get it?
            Yep, sorry that I misunderstood you.

Comment

Originally posted by NobodyXu View Post

Dragonfly is api compatible alternative to redis and memcached using io-uring. They claim to be way faster. https://github.com/dragonflydb/dragonfly

Comment

Originally posted by Sadhu View Post

Dragonfly is api compatible alternative to redis and memcached using io-uring. They claim to be way faster. https://github.com/dragonflydb/dragonfly
                Thanks for the information!
                I didn't know it uses io-uring as its README.md says its performance improvements come from better data structure and multithreading.

Comment

Originally posted by Sadhu View Post

Quite nice haven't heard of it, but I will have to try!

Comment

Working...
                  X