No announcement yet.

LibreOffice 7.4 RC1 Available For Testing This Latest Open-Source Office Suite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 7.4 RC1 Available For Testing This Latest Open-Source Office Suite

Phoronix: LibreOffice 7.4 RC1 Available For Testing This Latest Open-Source Office Suite

The Document Foundation has made available this morning the LibreOffice 7.4 release candidate as the newest test version of this cross-platform, open-source office suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Testing now.
    Thanks to *all* the devs and a tip of the hat to Collabora for the sheer amount of contributions.

Comment

IMO one of the most important "missing" features are proper fonts with ligatures that are compatible with Windows/Office fonts. I know this is probably more a distribution thing and maybe Ubuntu does it better then Fedora. But that is the biggest annoyance to me. (And those legacy ms-core-fonts are >15years old).

Of course arch can automatically download a Win11 iso and extract the fonts...

Comment

I built a version from git last week and when I started it up it said it was a "7.5 alpha" version. I'm not familiar with their version numbering scheme, but I was surprised to see 7.5 alpha stamped on something when 7.4 is not even out yet. I'm assuming that the number is meaningless, maybe they just assign to their git version +1 higher than whatever they are putting out on their various stable and development channels?

Comment

Originally posted by Mathias View Post
          IMO one of the most important "missing" features are proper fonts with ligatures that are compatible with Windows/Office fonts
          If I understand correctly, wasn't this addressed via Liberation fonts? There is also http://sorkintype.com/fonts.html#gel

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
            I built a version from git last week and when I started it up it said it was a "7.5 alpha" version.
            Most likely, they have a freeze when they go into beta, and only fixes makes it into the branch. https://github.com/LibreOffice/core/...ibreoffice-7-4
            The main git rolls along with new features and becomes 7.5 alpha.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

If I understand correctly, wasn't this addressed via Liberation fonts? There is also http://sorkintype.com/fonts.html#gel
              Hmm I just renamed my local fonts folder and opened an old word document and it didn't look like shit. Maybe I somehow automatically installed those old mscorefonts when installing Linux on a new system... wine provides an arial.ttf, I'm not sure if it is used by Linux though.

Comment

Hmm I just renamed my local fonts folder and opened an old word document and it didn't look like shit. Maybe I somehow automatically installed those old mscorefonts when installing Linux on a new system... wine provides an arial.ttf, I'm not sure if it is used by Linux though.
                Yeah, the old core fonts have been obsolete for a very long time. Arial is already covered by Liberation, Noto and others and major distros already configure these with LibreOffice by default. The only font that Wine provides that is of interest perhaps is Tahoma.

Comment

IMO one of the most important "missing" features are proper fonts with ligatures that are compatible with Windows/Office fonts. I know this is probably more a distribution thing and maybe Ubuntu does it better then Fedora. But that is the biggest annoyance to me. (And those legacy ms-core-fonts are >15years old).

Of course arch can automatically download a Win11 iso and extract the fonts...
                  Not only on Arch: I had the Win 11 fonts installed on Void and currently on openSUSE as well. I didn't even need an ISO.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
                    I built a version from git last week and when I started it up it said it was a "7.5 alpha" version. I'm not familiar with their version numbering scheme, but I was surprised to see 7.5 alpha stamped on something when 7.4 is not even out yet. I'm assuming that the number is meaningless, maybe they just assign to their git version +1 higher than whatever they are putting out on their various stable and development channels?
                    Between alpha and beta release, there is a feature freeze and branch off, where a branch is created (in this case libreoffce-7-4) from the current master. From this point only bugfixes and agreed features go into the newly created branch and the version number of the master is increased (in this case 7.5 alpha).

Comment

Working...
                    X