Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patches Updated For Booting Linux On The Nintendo Wii U

Phoronix: Patches Updated For Booting Linux On The Nintendo Wii U

Back in March there were Linux kernel patches posted for review to boot Linux on the Nintendo Wii U game console after this Linux porting work has long been done out-of-tree. A new iteration of those Wii U enablement patches for the Linux kernel have now been posted...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Then again, it was just last year Nintendo 64 support was mainlined in the Linux kernel.
    Well, I'm pretty sure there are more people still using a N64 than a Wii-U hahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      Well, I'm pretty sure there are more people still using a N64 than a Wii-U hahaha.
      The community has been very active recently due to the eShop discontinuation. Lots of newcomers have been looking into modding to legally back everything up. All of those people are either existing owners who never gave up on the console, or new owners that just bought used systems to fetch some exclusive or peculiar titles. Either way, there's a lot of movement.

Comment

still highly interested in the wiiU with linux, the gamepad is still quite unique and can be would be fun to play with, though I wonder if it could be possible to get it working on desktop

Comment

Originally posted by chocolate View Post
          The community has been very active recently due to the eShop discontinuation. Lots of newcomers have been looking into modding to legally back everything up. All of those people are either existing owners who never gave up on the console, or new owners that just bought used systems to fetch some exclusive or peculiar titles. Either way, there's a lot of movement.
          I highly doubt that most of them are using the Wii-U, though. The Wii would be more likely. I'm still using my Wii as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I highly doubt that most of them are using the Wii-U, though. The Wii would be more likely. I'm still using my Wii as well.
            plenty of interest in the wiiu myself, it's actually a pretty good system

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Yes, but the eShop discontinuation pertains to the Wii U and the 3DS/2DS family, and the recent movement is likely correlated to the desire to buy digital-only titles for those systems while the service is still running (I think it's now impossible to add funds, though), and then back them up via "custom firmware" (I hate that misleading term, but that's what the community is going for). The same goes for DLC and updates/fixes.
              It's true that most, if not all Wii U owners (me included) are interested in collecting for the Wii as well, since the Wii U can also play Wii titles while having native HDMI output.

Comment

Could be nice for my PowerPC collection.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X