Stratis 3.1 Released For Red Hat's Linux Storage Management Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Did I miss something? Last I heard they axed CentOS to make you all pay for RHEL.
    You did miss something. CentOS project continues to exist and CentOS stream serves as upstream for RHEL and has contributors from large organizations and volunteers. All rebuilds are only packaging the sources that Red Hat publishes in https://git.centos.org/

In additional to that, RHEL itself is available for download at https://developers.redhat.com/products/rhel/download
    Last edited by RahulSundaram; 25 May 2022, 01:19 PM.

Comment

I really like Flatpak, and GNOME, and the work on immutable distributions, etc (and hate the death of CentOS Linux). But Stratis is serious NIH syndrome. I hope they could put that effort into btrfs instead...

Comment

If it wasn't for the fact that Michael posts about this twice a year no one would even know this project exists. I can't think of any thing over at RH that has gotten less love.

Comment

Originally posted by MadeUpName View Post
          If it wasn't for the fact that Michael posts about this twice a year no one would even know this project exists. I can't think of any thing over at RH that has gotten less love.
          I'd love to know how many companies are using this in production. I'd also love if Red Hat maintained a little table on a page somewhere that shows what is implemented and what is still on the roadmap (and when). It would make things a lot easier for folks using ZFS who were interested in trying out Stratis. I know they talked about supporting snapshots and send / receive, but is that in the product and working right now?

Comment

Did I miss something? Last I heard they axed CentOS to make you all pay for RHEL.
            How they managed the CentOS issue (which I think was totally wrong) has nothing to do with their technical skills (which, I believe, are the best around).

Comment

CentOS still exists. RHEL is free for personal use.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post

CentOS still exists. RHEL is free for personal use.
                You buy all their bullshit or just that? They were trying to cash in and everyone knows it.

RedHat (IBM) wants business to pay software licenses to use free software based on the works of volunteers... and the community's biggest problem is Unity... riiiight. lol

Comment

You buy all their bullshit or just that? They were trying to cash in and everyone knows it.

RedHat (IBM) wants business to pay software licenses to use free software based on the works of volunteers... and the community's biggest problem is Unity... riiiight. lol
                  Well, I mean AlmaLinux or Rocky Linux both exist now to take the place of CentOS. Red Hat still allows others to rebuild RHEL. All they did was take CentOS in... then turn it into a dev environment like Debian Unstable is. I think Scientific Linux came back because of it, didn't they?

Comment

I'm unclear how they were trying to cash in when the alternative product was free and they've made no moves whatsoever to stop centos alternatives emerging. They just didn't want to spend money on a distro that nobody was actually contributing to.

Comment

How is dm-rais and dm-integrity doing these days?

Comment

Working...
                      X