Stratis 3.1 Released For Red Hat's Linux Storage Management Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stratis 3.1 Released For Red Hat's Linux Storage Management Solution

Phoronix: Stratis 3.1 Released For Red Hat's Linux Storage Management Solution

It's been five years already since Red Hat started Stratis as a configuration daemon built atop LVM and XFS in aiming to provide advanced storage functionality in user-space akin to what is offered by the advanced Btrfs and ZFS file-systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Can you imagine the size of this thread if Stratis was a Canonical project? People would be ripping their panties left and right and accusing them of NIH syndrome...

Comment

Btrfs has no cache, or crypro so must use some Stratis shared bits. ZFS has no mixed size support. Last I checked there was no lazy dm-integrity init which forced slow drive zeroing, and no xfs shrink. It's nice to have 3 options I hope they all improve.

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        Can you imagine the size of this thread if Stratis was a Canonical project? People would be ripping their panties left and right and accusing them of NIH syndrome...
        It's because Red Hat has built up a good reputation which cannot be said about Canonical.

Comment

Well, for Phoronix any project backed/advocated/supported/etc by GNOME and/or Red Hat is instantly better than the competition. ;-)

Comment

It is not NIH because they are not re-writing anything -- it is just a configuration tool that translate some high-level requirements into a heavily opinionated configuration of things already present. Same effect can be done manually.

Moreover, they reserve themselves right to change the back-end in the future; they may even migrate to BTRFS or bcache or something not even in existence yet one day.

Though for my taste it is easier to build a distributed FS to handle Stratis use cases, but apparently it pays its bills at RedHat, so, cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Volta View Post

It's because Red Hat has built up a good reputation which cannot be said about Canonical.
              Did I miss something? Last I heard they axed CentOS to make you all pay for RHEL.

Comment

There are more than one, practically identical, alternative to RHEL/CentOS.

Also Stratis is an option, not integral to the OS like Snap is becoming.

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

Did I miss something? Last I heard they axed CentOS to make you all pay for RHEL.
                  Yeah, 'cause one mishap is waaaaaaay worse than all of the mishaps Canonical had. [/s]

Comment

Originally posted by k1e0x View Post

They're improving Linux (core kernel parts as well which cannot be said about Canonical) since 1994 if I'm not mistaken. They've done far more good than bad. Canonical has ditched Unity when Ubuntu was gaining momentum and it's collaborating with m$.

Comment

Working...
                    X