Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux To Introduce The Ability To Set The Hostname Before Userspace Starts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    Originally posted by rene View Post
    how important. Surely this will finally make it the year of the Linux desktop! ;-)
    It can be used by mdadm which is server thing (well, desktop too if you want to have RAID array on your desktop for some reason) and Linux is pretty popular on servers. So yeah, it is important.

    Comment


    • #12
      Originally posted by dragon321 View Post

      It can be used by mdadm which is server thing (well, desktop too if you want to have RAID array on your desktop for some reason) and Linux is pretty popular on servers. So yeah, it is important.
      so important that nobody needed that in 30 years, servers I have seen usually used UUID, WWN and usually not mdadm ;-)

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
        It's been possible to give a kernel a custom hostname since ages ago.
        Absolutely. Setting the hostname in your bootloader config is a very niche requirement. Setting the hostname at kernel compile time or during userspace boot has been good enough for decades. This patch will find its users, but it's not a headline new feature.

        Comment


        • #14
          I fail to see how this benefits anyone? Does anyone seriously use RAID, despite its obvious flaws if one of the disks go bad? And I thought Linux was supposed to be UNIX-like. Honestly, engineers really shouldn't be responsible for kernel development anymore since their priorities are clearly wrong. They keep adding new, complicated features to support a /bin/sh-less environment but their only focus should be improving the shell system. Kind of seems like Poetterware to me. How else will my great grandmother continue to author beautiful /bin/sh scripts from her TI-82 when she has to recompile the L*nux kernel every 2 years?

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by milkylainen View Post
            It's been possible to give a kernel a custom hostname since ages ago.
            CONFIG_DEFAULT_HOSTNAME. By default it's "(none)" iirc.
            So it's not like the kernel won't answer with a hostname.

            It will. But not a cmdline dynamic one.
            I was going to mention this. But, of course, this isn't really usable for default kernels in a regular distro. I think it's more tailored for embedded where you know the hostname in advance (the owner is not expected to change it) and you build your kernel anyway.

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by rshpount View Post
              hosrtname?
              I'm going to rename my servers to horstname

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by moltonel View Post

                Absolutely. Setting the hostname in your bootloader config is a very niche requirement. Setting the hostname at kernel compile time or during userspace boot has been good enough for decades. This patch will find its users, but it's not a headline new feature.
                100% agree. Nice to have, but not at all "how could we live without it ?" kind of feature..

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post
                  I fail to see how this benefits anyone? Does anyone seriously use RAID, despite its obvious flaws if one of the disks go bad? And I thought Linux was supposed to be UNIX-like. Honestly, engineers really shouldn't be responsible for kernel development anymore since their priorities are clearly wrong. They keep adding new, complicated features to support a /bin/sh-less environment but their only focus should be improving the shell system. Kind of seems like Poetterware to me. How else will my great grandmother continue to author beautiful /bin/sh scripts from her TI-82 when she has to recompile the L*nux kernel every 2 years?
                  I've seen so many idiotic opinions here that for a moment I thought you were serious. I mean, I was in the fence until you mentioned your great grandmother and her TI-82

                  Originally posted by moltonel View Post

                  Absolutely. Setting the hostname in your bootloader config is a very niche requirement. Setting the hostname at kernel compile time or during userspace boot has been good enough for decades. This patch will find its users, but it's not a headline new feature.
                  Seriously calling building your own kernel less niche than having a kernel command line sounds out of touch with reality. I mean, you must desperately need it to even consider that an option. And, in that case, the command line is probably a very welcomed improvement.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
                    calling building your own kernel less niche than having a kernel command line
                    No, being bothered by the default hostname before userspace has time to change it is the niche usecase. Userspace sets the hostname very early on, the kernel-set hostname is almost always inconsequential.

                    It probably only comes up for embedded with a minimalist boot process, but those also very likely compile their own kernel, and can change the hostname there.

                    There are many reasons to comple your own kernel, setting the hostname is probably never the main reason.

                    The fact that this pretty simple feature is only being implemented now is a sign of how few people have a use for it.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      Originally posted by moltonel View Post
                      No, being bothered by the default hostname before userspace has time to change it is the niche usecase. Userspace sets the hostname very early on, the kernel-set hostname is almost always inconsequential.

                      It probably only comes up for embedded with a minimalist boot process, but those also very likely compile their own kernel, and can change the hostname there.

                      There are many reasons to comple your own kernel, setting the hostname is probably never the main reason.

                      The fact that this pretty simple feature is only being implemented now is a sign of how few people have a use for it.
                      This is mostly not embedded but this does allow embedded to base hostname of mac or equal and set it from the bootloader. The majority of these users will be those doing hardened virtual machine images. The idea that you can set hostname early on is that most cases you don't have file capabilities set to PID 1 process prevent it. Yes the file capabilities are read before the first part of executable is read.

                      Lot of people are not aware that you can start Linux up with capabilities missing from userspace just by setting a file capabilities on PID1. The requirement to inherit capabilities in one form of other from another process does create some interesting ways to lock Linux down.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X