Linux 5.18-rc6 Released - Linux 5.18 Is Looking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 5.18-rc6 Released - Linux 5.18 Is Looking

Phoronix: Linux 5.18-rc6 Released - Linux 5.18 Is Looking "Quite Well-Behaved"

Linus Torvalds just released Linux 5.18-rc6 as the latest weekly release candidate ahead of the Linux 5.18 stable release expected later in May...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, why that pic of Linus? This isn't even a story about one of his rants. In fact, it's not really a story about Linus.
    Last edited by coder; 09 May 2022, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
      Michael, why that pic of Linus? This isn't even a story about one of his rants. In fact, it's not really a story about Linus.
      Michael has a habit to insert loosely-related trivia in his postings (which I don't think is an issue in any way like some commenters do).

If all trivia about Linus Torvalds can only depict his raging and cursing side but never him in his good moments, it reinforces the sthereotype that he is a bully, which isn't who he is now (and arguably never really was, but that's a whole other topic which we should avoid so as to not flood this perfectly innocent topic's comments box)

Comment

Originally posted by coder View Post
        To remind NVIDIA's relation to Linux and Open Source?

Comment

see? that's all some people can remember about him, even though there is sooooomuch more than that to the man...

and calling Michael on having mentioned it ensured the comments would be about it instead of this linux RC window but alas, there is not much to say about the RC window to begin with

i do find it amusing to follow up on Torvalds quotes about RCs, because it's a fascinating insight into what he's paying attention to (what are his redflags and yellow flags, indirect signs of risks of unstable stuff creeping in) and how he translates that into a "feel"every time

Comment

I don't see the picture in the article... might have been a temporary thing.
            Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by marlock View Post
              Michael has a habit to insert loosely-related trivia in his postings (which I don't think is an issue in any way like some commenters do).
              Well, if the pictures are effectively click-bait (i.e. misleading and in a tantalizing way), then that's an issue that needs no further explanation.

I will sometimes comment on the picture, for instance when it seems especially loosely connected (like a car pic for a record-breaking IOPS benchmark?), or if I can think of something better. On the general subject of article pics, I think Next Platform does a pretty good job. They find relevant photos or diagrams from presentations & whitepapers for most stories, and resort to abstract clip art, when that fails. I understand it's a bigger media outlet, but I think it's an exemplar in this area, and a relevant one as they cover a lot of the same sorts of material.

If all trivia about Linus Torvalds can only depict his raging and cursing side but never him in his good moments, it reinforces the sthereotype that he is a bully, which isn't who he is now
              Exactly. It's not fair to Linus to "quote" this picture from one of his more outrageous moments that happened probably a decade ago, and it's not fair to the Linux community, who it most certainly doesn't represent. Linus is an important leader, but Linux is now so much bigger than him.

but that's a whole other topic which we should avoid so as to not flood this perfectly innocent topic's comments box)
              The whole point of these news threads is to discuss the news item and the article. I think it's entirely within bounds. Of course, you're free to have your own opinion and not to participate in the discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                I don't see the picture in the article... might have been a temporary thing.
                It was the Torvalds "middle finger" photo. It was up for a few hours.

Comment

Fun fact: just like @brigman I did not actually see a picture of Linus on the article, only the text... that made me interpret your original comment as if "pic" was the text paragraph talking about ("depicting"/"picturing") Linus's cheerful mood while posting about the RC... and that was the idea I was replying to.

Only after @brigman replied asking about an actual image gone missing did I see the more literal interpretation was possible (and now your response confirmed that to be what you really meant).
                  Last edited by marlock; 10 May 2022, 07:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X