Rust Code Updated For The Linux Kernel - Networking & Async Support Started

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
    I worry if Linux releases graphics drivers in Rust that all the down source users of the code like all the *BSDs and even niche operating systems like Haiku will have to somehow shoehorn Rust into their OS too. That isn't a problem for AMD64 or AArch64 but is a problem for OpenBSD and NetBSD that support MIPS and SPARC and SPARC64 that don't have Rust support for those architectures. I guess that isn't a problem for say the Intel integrated graphics stack that is only found on AMD64 CPUs but what about discrete graphics cards, network cards, etc?
    Rust is working on gcc support via https://github.com/rust-lang/rustc_codegen_gcc and https://github.com/Rust-GCC/gccrshtt...Rust-GCC/gccrs

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
      I worry if Linux releases graphics drivers in Rust that all the down source users of the code like all the *BSDs and even niche operating systems like Haiku will have to somehow shoehorn Rust into their OS too.
      ...Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Scellow View Post
        segregation inside the kernel, congrats "rustaceans"
        May you explain?

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post

May you explain?
          The person you are quoting apparently thinks that using more than one language in a codebase is horrifically bad or something, and thus is shunning the idea of Rust code alongside C in the kernel.

APIs and ABIs exist, and the kernel is modularized anyway, so I'm not sure exactly what this person is on about.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
            The person you are quoting apparently thinks that using more than one language in a codebase is horrifically bad or something, and thus is shunning the idea of Rust code alongside C in the kernel.

APIs and ABIs exist, and the kernel is modularized anyway, so I'm not sure exactly what this person is on about.
            I believe the thing the user was trying to ironically describe is the "absurdity" of mixing up communication within the brain. But like you explained, the brain has procedures it still has to follow or it will be cast aside and be isolated (never used until it follows the procedures for general operations), so it simply means the delicate brain still has a high priority of being good at communication regardless of how.

Tried to do a layman's metaphor, hopefully it fits well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
              Having "Async" supported within the kernel would certainly make it a very interesting proposition.
              I "Await" to see this patch merged.

Comment

Originally posted by ClosedSource View Post

I "Await" to see this patch merged.
                There's no promise that it will be merged in the future tho.

Comment

Working...
                X