Systemd 251-rc2 Released With More Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

Changed in what aspect? Please be more specific. Containers have been a Unix thing since 1979 and while you don't have flatpack, snap and appimage as such in the BSDs there are equivalent technologies going back to 2000.
    Kubernetes, docker, virtualization, cloud tech. None of that was taught when I was in school. I was looking at a job as a Linux System Administrator and I feel like the traditional system administration I learned in school has gone away. Everything is orchestrated now. We didn't even learn git in college! I'm just a lowly data center tech aspiring to be a system administrator someday!

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

So the more accurate saying would be that BSD is for those who love Unix (and hate Windows), Linux is for those who love operating systems.
      I would say that quote describes me. I go out of my way to avoid Microsoft products. I won't use Azure, refuse to use Windows that I didn't get the license for free, only buy Xboxes used from gamestop and never new, have never bought a new Microsoft game, etc. I'm about as anti-microsoft as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Kubernetes, docker, virtualization, cloud tech. None of that was taught when I was in school. I was looking at a job as a Linux System Administrator and I feel like the traditional system administration I learned in school has gone away. Everything is orchestrated now. We didn't even learn git in college! I'm just a lowly data center tech aspiring to be a system administrator someday!
        Which is mostly still true, depending on the program. Those are techs you learn on the job really. Always were.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Technology moves forward. That said virtualization and cloud tech was old school already 12 years ago, kubernetes and docker is just products using those technologies. 12 years ago you used chroot on Linux or jails on BSD to do similar tasks. Granted they where more common in big iron back then on IBM mainframes or Solaris boxes while Linux where mostly used for small tasks, what happened when you where gone is that Linux basically took over the role of big iron.

Comment

Systemd package manager when?

Comment

Originally posted by arun54321 View Post
              Systemd package manager when?
              It's already here with the /usr overlay manager

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
                If anything, I would bet my bottom dollar that there is in fact a lot more hate towards Windows in the various BSD communities than in Linuxland.
                And I would bet that the largest source of hate for Windows is from Windows users.

99% of the noise about Windows from Linux and *BSD users is just the technology equivalent of virtue signaling.

Comment

Originally posted by arQon View Post
                  And I would bet that the largest source of hate for Windows is from Windows users.
                  Probably, since there are thousands of Windows users for every Linux user as far as the desktop goes.

Originally posted by arQon View Post
                  99% of the noise about Windows from Linux and *BSD users is just the technology equivalent of virtue signaling.
                  There is certainly some truth in that.

Comment

Working...
                  X