Systemd 251-rc2 Released With More Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by neoe View Post
    I'm using my customized distro use debian packages for the stability and conveniences but no systemd. Sorry for the efforts made by systemd developers, but I can live well without it .
    Such a drama queen. Here, have a snickers.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

Wow that's a big jump. The 4.9 and 4.14 LTS kernels will not hit EOL until 2023 and 2024 respectively. And 4.4, 4.9, and 4.14 are all supposed to receive Super LTS support through at least 2026. These are exactly the types of machines that would be likely to set up as stable servers using Debian, and yet Debian's only available init system is throwing them on the trash heap. Good thing there's always Slackware, I guess.
      Why should someone running 4.4 want the lastest systemd?

Comment

Originally posted by dlq84 View Post

Why should someone running 4.4 want the lastest systemd?
        You know the Linux community. There is always someone with special needs - including mental ones

Comment

Soon, systemd will become a fully fledged distro :P

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
            What's next? systemd-wayland?

Comment

I feel like I don't know Linux anymore with some of the recent changes. It is some kind of fraken-Unix. I was reading the job description for a system administrator and it was nothing like the ones I read in college 12 years ago. SystemD, containers, flatpack, snaps-- have all changed the landscape of Linux forever. I find myself much preferring the slower pace life of OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and NetBSD. There is a quote that goes in part those who love Unix use *BSD, those who hate Windows use Linux and Linux is looking less and less like a Unix. I find myself longing for a job managing legacy Unix systems like HP-UX and Solaris which are still out there and command a premium.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                I feel like I don't know Linux anymore with some of the recent changes. It is some kind of fraken-Unix. I was reading the job description for a system administrator and it was nothing like the ones I read in college 12 years ago. SystemD, containers, flatpack, snaps-- have all changed the landscape of Linux forever. I find myself much preferring the slower pace life of OpenBSD, FreeBSD, and NetBSD. There is a quote that goes in part those who love Unix use *BSD, those who hate Windows use Linux and Linux is looking less and less like a Unix. I find myself longing for a job managing legacy Unix systems like HP-UX and Solaris which are still out there and command a premium.
                That quote has been going on forever and it's profoundly moronic. Linux has never been motivated by a hate of Windows. Linus Torvalds of all people doesn't hate Windows at all, he uses it, he has created software for it (Subsurface, git) and he spoke favourably of some of its features and tools (and scathingly about others of course). Stallman bashes Windows because it's non-free, not because it's not Unix. If anything, I would bet my bottom dollar that there is in fact a lot more hate towards Windows in the various BSD communities than in Linuxland. So the more accurate saying would be that BSD is for those who love Unix (and hate Windows), Linux is for those who love operating systems.

As for whether or not it ressembles Unix, it's important to keep in mind that as far as Linux is concerned, Unix has always been a kind of loose inspiration (including, in some cases, an inspiration of how NOT to do something - see multithreading for example). But Linux never had an objective to be and remain a *nix system where *nix sysadmins would feel at home. No such promise has ever been made.

Comment

Can you give a date? You guys have been saying this for 12 years now, it starting to sounds like the guys on the streets holding the "the rapture is near" signs.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post
                    Changed in what aspect? Please be more specific. Containers have been a Unix thing since 1979 and while you don't have flatpack, snap and appimage as such in the BSDs there are equivalent technologies going back to 2000.

Comment

I hope so, maybe then we'll actually have a usable distro

Comment

Working...
                      X