Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Systemd 251-rc2 Released With More Features

Phoronix: Systemd 251-rc2 Released With More Features

Just over one month after systemd 251-rc1 was released, a second release candidate to this next systemd installment is now available for testing. Systemd 251-rc2 brings yet more features to this Linux init system and service manager...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The minimum kernel version now has been bumped from Linux 3.15 to 4.15. Pre-4.15 kernels are no longer supported.
    Wow that's a big jump. The 4.9 and 4.14 LTS kernels will not hit EOL until 2023 and 2024 respectively. And 4.4, 4.9, and 4.14 are all supposed to receive Super LTS support through at least 2026. These are exactly the types of machines that would be likely to set up as stable servers using Debian, and yet Debian's only available init system is throwing them on the trash heap. Good thing there's always Slackware, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      These are exactly the types of machines that would be likely to set up as stable servers using Debian, and yet Debian's only available init system is throwing them on the trash heap.
      They'll keep working as before. It's just a recommendation, not a hard requirement. Mainly because of cgroups-v2 support. See commit on GitHub.

Comment

Wow that's a big jump. The 4.9 and 4.14 LTS kernels will not hit EOL until 2023 and 2024 respectively. And 4.4, 4.9, and 4.14 are all supposed to receive Super LTS support through at least 2026. These are exactly the types of machines that would be likely to set up as stable servers using Debian, and yet Debian's only available init system is throwing them on the trash heap. Good thing there's always Slackware, I guess.
        And these distros will not receive systemd updates like this one anyway.

Comment

system d release with more features eh? no foolin

Comment

I'm using my customized distro use debian packages for the stability and conveniences but no systemd. Sorry for the efforts made by systemd developers, but I can live well without it .

Comment

Originally posted by Vermilion View Post

They'll keep working as before. It's just a recommendation, not a hard requirement. Mainly because of cgroups-v2 support. See commit on GitHub.
              Oh you are right. That's not the way Michael's article described it at all.

Comment

a small typo
                annd A/V

Comment

I think that's a non-issue. Distros will obviously update their kernels and systemd in sync.

Comment

Originally posted by neoe View Post
                    Sorry for the efforts made by systemd developers, but I can live well without it .
                    I'm sure the entirety of the systemd team will be left heartbroken by such a terrible loss.

Comment

Working...
                    X