Linus Torvalds Comments On The NTFS Linux Driver Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuxd3v
    No I don't mean myself, because I am following the war since its beginning...yeah since 2014...does you knew the war started in 2014?
    Yes and it was not Russia who started it, but the point is...does you knew that?

Russia just entered it in 2022, precisely to end it, but there are a lot of countries supplying tons of weapons to the nazis.
    So who is creating the problem?

Yes Russia has a conscript system, but it is used only for defence of the country.

Conscripts were deployed at beginning, because someone made mistakes.But they were not "heavily involved".
    They find out that conscripts were there and they pulled them back.

You are wrong again,
    The Moskva, was NOT doing offensive operations...if you have studied the subject first, you would have learned that the Moskva is only antiship.
    The Ukrainian war happens in land, so it would make no sense to use the Moskva, to fight a war in land, since he is a ship to fight in the sea!Do you got the difference?
    Moskva has no way to fight on land!
    Moskva is a antiship/antisubmarine ship, it cannot fight on land, but the point is again, you didn't study the problem, and then you formulated crazy ideas about the ship...things that can be easily debunked, because it was antiship.

Ofcourse that they took the ship out of the harbor, but there are a lot of strange things related with that ship maybe they come in time to be known.

Western propaganda...its the same in any mass media.
    The only chance you have to know a bit more is reading both sides of the story, compare them and take something out of both stories..
    If you only see 1 side, you have being already "programmed"
    But right now its difficult to get the other side of the story, because western governments forbid us to access to the other side of the story, yeah they blocked Russian media..

Why do you think they blocked Russian media?
    The thing is, if they didn't, you would find out the truth!

Events 10 times worst than Bucha are happening in Ukraine since 2014, but you never talked about them, in fact western media doesn't even care about it.
    Its called hypocrisy.

Go and learn about the nazi battalions in Ukraine, they murder, rape, torture people, and they even have concentration camps, all this years since 2014.But I don't see you talk about that, or about the Nazis killing at least 15000 in donbass since 2014...ho I got it...it doesn't count right?hypocrisy

What regime are you talking about?
    The nazis in Ukraine?
    Yes Linux kernel is a complete separate topic that has nothing to do with the war on Ukraine, or Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria, Libya...does you got the point?

Don't come to me telling me bullshit about values...you have no values.You are a brainwashed hypocrite.
    Second, what you are suggesting is pure nazism!Abomination!

Just stop a second to think about it..

I understand that you are upset, with the price of things..
    But the price of energy is high,
    Because you have a bunch of idiot corrupt leaders that decided to launch a trade war with Russia.And no, it has nothing to do with the war, but instead all to do with corrupted policies...
    And now you are paying the price, but who elected those leaders...right You!So don't come blaming others for your own mistakes.
    It was not Russia who decided to increase the energy price, it was western countries, who decided to advance with big sanctions against Russia.

I on the other hand are upset with the genocide the nazis have being doing in Ukraine since 2014.

And no, don't come with the "before the war", because the war started in 2014 not in 2022, and nobody have done anything about it.
    Before commenting something just learn first what is going on in that conflict.
    You are a classical case of someone that was brainwashed by the media.

The thing is, because the nazis were massacring civilians in donbass, Russians got very pissed with it( genocide in Europe in 21Century.. ).
    That leaded to the Minsk Agreements in 2015.
    Ukraine was supposed to implement a autonomous region(inside Ukraine) for the ethnic Russians of donbass.

In 2022 is widely known that the nazis, not only don't wanted to do that, but also changed the Law, so that it would be impossible to implement the Minsk Agreements.
    The only option left, is to recognize DPR and LPR as independent states, which Russia did.

Ho, and by the way, don't come saying that it is Illegal, because it was also made before in Kosovo...remember?
    Remember that by international Law, any population that is being oppressed,genocided,with its rights suppressed, has the right of autodetermination.
    Crimea used the International Law to reject nazism too!

Ho, and before you come telling me that I am Russian, please stop that nonsens.
    Unfortunately, I also live in a western country full of idiots.
    The difference between me and you,
    Is that I know the sh*t governments that we have and also the way they use the media to brainwash the population, the thing is, I don't buy it!
    I mean two questions

1) If ukraine has been involved in genocide why isn't the UN, ICC, India or China verifying this?

Experts analyse the Russian president’s claims of ‘genocide’ as justification for Moscow’s invasion of Ukraine.

I mean Russia was booted by the general un assembly (majority of all world countries) from the human rights council. You think a country fighting against genocide would be viewed as champions of such a body.

Resolution to expel Russia from Human Rights Council expresses concern about reports of ‘systemic abuses’ in Ukraine.

2) Since the start of the war Ukraine only had coastguard vessels in service. Why would you deploy a vessel into a contested zone (placing it at risk) unless it had offensive ability?

Here is an article written prewar which outlines the usefulness of the baltic fleet in war. You'll notice land strike ability is discussed.

While the Black Sea prepares to witness a conflict for the first time over a century, the most pressing question arises: Can Ukraine resist?

Comment

Konstantin Komarov finally responded on lore.kernel.org (not going to link since I keep getting flagged as spam):

Hello Linus, Kari and all.

First and foremost I need to state that active work on NTFS3 driver has never stopped, and it was never decided to "orphan" NTFS3. Currently we are still in the middle of the process of getting the Kernel.org account. We need to sign our PGP key to move forward, but the process is not so clear (will be grateful to get some process desciption), so it is going quite slow trying to unravel the topic.

As for now, we can prepare patches/pull requests through the github, and submit them right now (we have quite a bunch of fixes for new Kernels support, bugfixes and fstests fixes) -- if Linus approves this approach until we set up the proper git.kernel.org repo.

Also, to clarify this explicitly: in addition to the driver, we're working of ntfs3 utilities as well.

Overall, nevertheless the NTFS3 development pace has been slowed down a bit for previous couple of months, its state is still the same as before: it is fully maintained and being developed.

And finally, we apologize for late reply; I allowed me short vacation after most restrictions because of covid ended up this month in Germany.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nsane457 View Post
        Konstantin Komarov finally responded on lore.kernel.org (not going to link since I keep getting flagged as spam):
        Many thanks for your post!
        So...he was in the beach with 30 degrees Celsius, nice move!
        Last edited by tuxd3v; 01 May 2022, 09:08 PM.

Comment

No I don't mean myself, because I am following the war since its beginning...yeah since 2014...
          You're right - you are definitely not "consuming" Propaganda. You are spreading it, maybe even creating some.

We got 2 mln ukrainian refugees now in Poland, they are staying at our homes (literally! no camps). Most of them in my city are speaking russian, not ukrainian, as most of them escaped from the east Ukraine, from beyond Dnieper river. None of them ever saw any "nazi" you are speaking about, even the ones that came from Luhansk.

But I guess in your propaganda this is just 2 mln of paid actors.

Russia didn't even had a month,maybe 2 weeks..
          That is simply a lie. Russian soldats (barbarian "soldiers") were sitting in the woods for 3 months before. And even before that the Belarus regime has started testing EU borders - in JULY 2021.

Your lies might work in countries locked out from informations, like Russia, Belarus or China, but you're wasting your precious time and ruble writing this in english tawariszcz.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

They get $1000 not because of ReFS but because server licenses are a priori much more costly. And if ReFS is much better than NTFS then Microsoft is making its desktop OS less competitive, and it has so much money because its history is rooted in its desktop OS.
            Yes, Microsoft is making its desktop OS less competitive, much so. In 2022, with TB of personal data, who is really willing to accept their entire digital history in a non-checksummed filesystem? At least APFS checksums the metadata, ntfs doesn't even bother.

I do think it's dumb for Microsoft to not default to the best filesystem, since it weakens the base. It's a gamble they figured out, we will see how it goes.

IMO, ReFS is a completely technically awesome product. It has block copy which basically stops the btrfs VM bottleneck. It's a formidable technological achievement.

For linux, I suspect Bcachefs will soon take off. Hammer2 is great on Dragonflybsd. I haven't had a complete array failure on btrfs raid-1 in a couple of years, so that's another option. If 100% of your drives are the same size and exact specs, and you'll never shrink but always expand, nothing beats ZFS. My initial objection was to someone calling ReFS "dead". It's not dead, and it's not some prototype that never worked. It's APEX as far as standards go. And I would not fault any business for choosing that path. I'd in fact encourage it much much more than BTRFS, for which I've documented and filed so many bug reports in the last decade that I know many of the top developers because we've emailed and reproduced catastrophic irrecoverable failures.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

Yes, Microsoft is making its desktop OS less competitive, much so. In 2022, with TB of personal data, who is really willing to accept their entire digital history in a non-checksummed filesystem?
              I'm pretty sure 99% of people don't know what a checksum is. So, pretty much everyone.
              Exactly 0 regular Joe users ever switched OS because of the filesystem, which is the mass market Windows caters to (except for the server editions of course).

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post
              My initial objection was to someone calling ReFS "dead". It's not dead, and it's not some prototype that never worked.
              That is obviously true. But they keep it for servers because for sysadmins it is actually an incentive to make their employers pay for the server edition.

Comment

Originally posted by gotar View Post
                None of them ever saw any "nazi" you are speaking about
                Most Russians don't even have a real accurate idea of what WWII was/involved, or what Hitler's and Nazis did. The only thing their education/indoctrination on it gets right is that more Slavic people/USSR citizens were killed then anyone else. (% of total population wise, I believe more Jews died, but not in raw numbers.)

There is no mention of Nazi Aryan ideology, specific hatred for Jews, and discrimination against heterosexual, Africans, and disabled people. Nazism, in Russia, is essentially synonymous with Russophobia.

Comment

Out of the blue. Re-posting, placing emphasis around all the hype here on the forum, for those trying to find the latest information within the forum.

Might I suggest, once this post is verified as authentic, posting the contents within the main article?

Following was posted by Nsane457 on 01 May 2022, 07:54 PM:

Originally posted by Nsane457 View Post
                  Hello Linus, Kari and all.

First and foremost I need to state that active work on NTFS3 driver has never stopped, and it was never decided to "orphan" NTFS3. Currently we are still in the middle of the process of getting the Kernel.org account. We need to sign our PGP key to move forward, but the process is not so clear (will be grateful to get some process desciption), so it is going quite slow trying to unravel the topic.

As for now, we can prepare patches/pull requests through the github, and submit them right now (we have quite a bunch of fixes for new Kernels support, bugfixes and fstests fixes) -- if Linus approves this approach until we set up the proper git.kernel.org repo.

Also, to clarify this explicitly: in addition to the driver, we're working of ntfs3 utilities as well.

Overall, nevertheless the NTFS3 development pace has been slowed down a bit for previous couple of months, its state is still the same as before: it is fully maintained and being developed.

And finally, we apologize for late reply; I allowed me short vacation after most restrictions because of covid ended up this month in Germany.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X