Linus Torvalds Comments On The NTFS Linux Driver Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by You- View Post
    I wonder how much Russian invasion of Ukraine plays into all this.
    I know, right? Also, I wonder if Linux has commented on the matter at all.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

How is ReFS dead? I think it's even the default fs now in Server 2022.
      Might be, but I don't think that many deployments actually use it.

Also they promised it'll be available on desktop, one version after the Server, but it's still nowhere to be seen.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyChow View Post

How is ReFS dead? I think it's even the default fs now in Server 2022.
        Because it's not good enough for desktop windows, why else not ship it?

Comment

I think he's being sarcastic lol.
          It's because nowadays they blame everything on the Russian/Ukraine conflict.

Comment

Well I hope somebody else will just maintain it!
            It would be a shame to be dropped, especially after waiting for so much time to have proper NTFS support!

Comment

The article mentions adding write support to the older driver. What would be the gain of doing that while having a working(-ish?) driver already? I always thought the path would be more like 'merge Paragon's -> drop the older one'.
              Anyone well versed enough to figure that one out?

Comment

Originally posted by sinepgib View Post
                The article mentions adding write support to the older driver. What would be the gain of doing that while having a working(-ish?) driver already? I always thought the path would be more like 'merge Paragon's -> drop the older one'.
                Anyone well versed enough to figure that one out?
                This is one of those Linux Specials, we got a working userspace driver with fuse, we got a working kernel driver with ntfs-g3, now we need to devote our time into the 20 year old kernel driver that never got rid of it´s experimental tag yay, we are so productive again today.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  Btw is MS working on a next-gen NTFS replacement? Because ReFS is pretty much dead. I wonder how much of a performance bottleneck (if any) is NTFS?
                  At this point, I hope they would implement an existing filesystem instead, as that's less work and would help with Android integration and such.

Ext4 and f2fs seem appropriate for PCs and server SSDs. I'm not sure about server HDDs... but I guess ntfs would still be fine?

Comment

Since the driver was finally mainlined last year in Linux 5.15, there haven't been any major bug fixes to be sent in for the driver.
                    I think the real question is, does have being any real bugs??
                    Probably since the driver is already mature, it doesn't need the attention other drivers need, just saying..

Comment

Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
                      I think the real question is, does have being any real bugs??
                      Yes. I recently ran into an issue where it won't read large files properly, throwing spurious ENOENT or returning corrupt data:

Comment

Working...
                      X