Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linus Torvalds Comments On The NTFS Linux Driver Situation

Phoronix: Linus Torvalds Comments On The NTFS Linux Driver Situation

As written about earlier this week, concerns have been raised over the "new" NTFS Linux driver that it's effectively unmaintained already less than one year after being mainlined. Linus Torvalds has since commented on the matter and opens up the door for other developers to maintain it...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Btw is Microsoft using it in some way for their Azure etc stuff?

Comment

I wonder how much Russian invasion of Ukraine plays into all this.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
        I know right? Reading the article is so much work...

Comment

The use-case is limited to rescue iso's (on dvd or usb stick) and to dual-boot desktop users. For sharing data, a NAS or an exfat partition would also do. Sure it is a nice to have, but less important than 10 years ago. Maybe also that's why Paragon has given this over.

Comment

Btw is MS working on a next-gen NTFS replacement? Because ReFS is pretty much dead. I wonder how much of a performance bottleneck (if any) is NTFS?

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
              Btw is MS working on a next-gen NTFS replacement? Because ReFS is pretty much dead. I wonder how much of a performance bottleneck (if any) is NTFS?
              How is ReFS dead? I think it's even the default fs now in Server 2022.

Comment

Originally posted by evert_mouw View Post
                Maybe also that's why Paragon has given this over.
                Paragon never articulated the full details of why they contributed the code to the Linux kernel, but the guess was that (a) there was really no significant revenue being received (fewer and fewer Linux users purchased a license), (b) maintaining out-of-tree drivers for the few licensees was becoming a expense that did not justify the revenue, and (c) Microsoft joining OIN eliminated certain concerns regarding IP and licensing. That Paragon could also get recognition and a few kudo's for contributing to Linux probably did not hurt either. They do have (and still sell) a version of the NTFS driver for macOS, so they should have interest in maintaining the code base. Why they have not responded to other kernel developers is an open question (and as it phoronix standard practice, with no facts (and even with facts) that generates a large number of conjectures, wishes, and demands on others time).

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
                  Maybe wishful thinking, but I'm sure they are working on porting BTRFS. ReFS had similar functionalities.

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                    I wonder how much not-reading the article plays into all of your post.

Comment

Working...
                    X