X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• linuxgeex
    replied
    Originally posted by birdie View Post

I've had it twice, stopped using NTFS volumes for that after the accidents. Never bothered to report for a simple reason: it's near impossible to reproduce.

I had a 250GB volume, already had 100GB of data on it. Tried to download a large enough file (~12GB) without preallocating it - the file came off broken, the partition couldn't be mounted on a second mount. Had to reboot into Windows to chkdsk it. It showed dozens of scary messages. That was enough.
    You are a braver birdie than I. Once upon a time I used ntfsclone --metadata to preserve the FS structure before making changes and then upon seeing my files were good I deleted the backup, only to find later that the NTFS volume had lost a directory and even Windows recovery tools couldn't find it. Luckily it was just installed application stuff that could be replaced, but after that I stopped trying to write NTFS.

Today, in a pinch, if I absolutely must modify an NTFS file then I losetup it and modify the loop device to make sure no actual filesystem structure is changed beyond its data blocks. When I last used Windows (not since 2006 or so) I was using ext2fsd driver to mount my /home partition under Windows, and configured /UserData to be on that volume as well. That solves the whole interchange issue.

Oh, and for a dual-boot system you can safely mkswap on [/media/windows]/pagefile.sys and swap on it. Also if you want to mount NTFS, even readonly, in a dual-boot system, you should disable hibernation.
    Last edited by linuxgeex; 27 April 2022, 04:59 AM.

Leave a comment:

• npwx
    replied
    Can't say I'm surprised, I don't believe that they care about OSS at all. Last time I've checked some of their partitioning or backup products (don't remember exactly which one) contained copy of Linux, no license terms, no source code, no nothing. Their parent company also has a long history of GPL violations. So in my opinion they just stopped making enough money on this to justify any more effort on their own so they threw it over the fence.

Leave a comment:

• issy
    replied

BTW, ntfs-3g can also be considered a dead project. It's not seen any major fixes/new features for at least a couple of years now.
    The ntfs-3g GitHub repository shows 73 releases, one or two releases in recent years. The latest one was eight months ago.

Leave a comment:

• ilgazcl
    replied

I've had it twice, stopped using NTFS volumes for that after the accidents. Never bothered to report for a simple reason: it's near impossible to reproduce.

I had a 250GB volume, already had 100GB of data on it. Tried to download a large enough file (~12GB) without preallocating it - the file came off broken, the partition couldn't be mounted on a second mount. Had to reboot into Windows to chkdsk it. It showed dozens of scary messages. That was enough.
    Here is a crazy idea: choco winbtrfs :-) That thing performs better than Linux sometimes. Already used in ReactOS.

Leave a comment:

• ilgazcl
    replied
    This is more like a kernel maintainer being too emotional/angry. Nothing "dies" in GPL universe. It gets taken over, 1000x better code gets written. Bonus: MS gets another lesson about which development model is right.

BTW I purchased a lot from Paragon guys back in the day, they aren't bad developers but they are Windows kernel hackers. They are an old school German software house. They can't adapt to GPL/FSF model of development. These people have secretaries, tickets, customer departments etc etc.

Leave a comment:

• unsound
    replied
    Originally posted by brucethemoose View Post

I don't think its torrents specifically... perhaps random IO? I get it when batch writing or modifying thousands of little PNGs. A *few* inevitably end up corrupted, which is super annoying.
    If this is still related to ntfs-3g, then I'd encourage you to report this to the ntfs-3g github issue tracker. It sounds like one of these hard to reproduce issues but if you can attach chkdsk output for the corrupted volume it's possible that we'll be able to figure out what's going on and solve the issue.
    (And if you have a good test case where copying a bunch of pngs to an NTFS drive causes corruption every time, then that would be even more helpful of course!)

Leave a comment:

• birdie
    replied
    Originally posted by unsound View Post

I don't think it is, many people use torrents. Has it been reported to the mailing list or in a github issue? I can't see it in the list of open issues on github. It's certainly worth investigating as it sounds quite serious.

Leave a comment:

• NotMine999
    replied
    Originally posted by linuxgeex View Post
    phoronix Please Please Please add an option to vote up articles and these photos, lol. I think you'd find the results gratifying and it'll help you pin articles to the top of the queue based on viewer appreciation.
    I think Facebook has that feature...but I don't use Facebook so what would I know, right?

Leave a comment:

• rogerx
    replied
    ... think the Paragon developers are very busy reverse engineering other projects.

Their NTFS driver has likely already made the majority of the profits, especially with a recently open sourced exFat filesystem, the demand for NTFS will likely further wane.

I use exFat filesystem on large shared partitions between Windows and Linux for shared file storage, granted, no de-fragmenting utility, but at least the open sourced exFAT driver has code integrity unlike other hacks or attempts. Prior, I was using UDF filesystem for shared Windows and Linux partitions.

Leave a comment:

• linuxgeex
    replied
    phoronix Please Please Please add an option to vote up articles and these photos, lol. I think you'd find the results gratifying and it'll help you pin articles to the top of the queue based on viewer appreciation.

Love the humour of this one. Thanks!

P.S. a Windows logo taped to the drive would have made it even more meme-worthy.

image.php?id=2021&image=linux_512_fixed_med.jpg
    Last edited by linuxgeex; 26 April 2022, 09:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X